Need help understanding base-10 number format please

• I
  • Thread starter andrecoelho
  • Start date
andrecoelho
Hey..suppose i have the 9312 number. And 3 digit. Number can be represented by
9*10^3 + 3*10^2 + 1*10 + 2

how do i get the 10^2 ? (either 2 or 1000) ? do we need logarithms?

thanks

andre

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, @andrecoelho, first of all, wellcome.
andrecoelho said:
Hey..suppose i have the 9312 number. And 3 digit.
They first sentence stands for four digits. What do you mean when you mention three digits?
andrecoelho said:
Number can be represented by
9*10^3 + 3*10^2 + 1*10 + 2
Fine
andrecoelho said:
how do i get the 10^2 ?
From my point of view, it is ten powered to two. I see no mathematical difficulty.
andrecoelho said:
(either 2 or 1000) ? do we need logarithms?
My opinion is that it is either ##100## or ##10^2##. Why should we need logarithms?. Logarithms are the opposite function to exponentiation.
Which is the question you want to solve?
Greetings!

Likes e_jane and berkeman
Not sure what you’re asking but perhaps by rewriting what you wrote will clarify what you want?

9312 is short for ##9*1000 + 3*100 + 1*10 + 2##

we can use various math expressions to get the units value

##9312 - INT( 9312 / 10 )*10 = 9312 - INT( 931.2 )*10 = 9312 - 9310 = 2##

What is base-10 number format?

Base-10 number format, also known as the decimal system, is a number system that uses 10 digits (0-9) to represent numbers. Each digit has a different place value depending on its position in the number, with the rightmost digit representing ones, the next digit representing tens, and so on.

Why is base-10 number format important?

Base-10 number format is important because it is the most commonly used number system in everyday life. It allows us to easily count and perform mathematical operations on numbers, and is the foundation for more complex number systems used in fields such as computer science and engineering.

How do I convert numbers from base-10 to other number formats?

To convert a number from base-10 to another number format, you can use a method called "division by base." This involves repeatedly dividing the base-10 number by the desired base and recording the remainders until the result is 0. The remainders, read in reverse order, will give you the number in the desired format.

What are some examples of base-10 numbers?

Some examples of base-10 numbers include 5, 27, 103, and 1,000. These numbers are all written using the digits 0-9 and have a place value system where the value of each digit increases by a factor of 10 as you move from right to left.

How is base-10 number format related to place value?

Base-10 number format is directly related to place value. The position of a digit in a base-10 number determines its place value, with the rightmost digit representing ones, the next digit representing tens, and so on. This allows us to easily understand and manipulate numbers, as each place value has a specific meaning and contributes to the overall value of the number.