Need help understanding phase shift in trigonometric curves

• MHB
  • Thread starter charki126
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thanks Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of at what value of α the curves y=asin2π/λ (x+α) and z=asin2π/λ(x) will be in phase. The answer in the mark scheme is given as α=1−λx+nλ, while the person speaking believes it should be α=nλ. The conversation also includes equations for the two curves, as well as a clarification of the period being λ.
charki126
At what value of α is the curve y=asin2π/λ (x+α) in phase with z=asin2π/λ(x)?

My answer booklet says α=1−λx+nλ, but I keep getting α=nλ, where n=0,1,2...
I have no clue how to get to the answer shown in the mark scheme. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Guessing at your syntax ... are the following interpretations correct?

$y = A\sin\left[\dfrac{2\pi}{\lambda} \cdot (x + \alpha)\right]$

$z = A\sin\left(\dfrac{2\pi}{\lambda} \cdot x \right)$

If so, then the period of both sinusoids is $\lambda$, hence I agree that the two will be in phase for $\alpha = k \lambda \, , \, k \in \mathbb{Z}$

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships and properties of triangles and the calculations involving angles and sides.

2. Why do I need help with Trigonometry?

Trigonometry can be a challenging subject for many students, as it involves complex formulas and concepts. Seeking help can improve your understanding and performance in the subject.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Trigonometry?

Practicing problems, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and using visual aids and real-life examples can help improve your understanding of Trigonometry.

5. How can I use Trigonometry in real life?

Trigonometry has many real-life applications, such as in architecture, engineering, navigation, and astronomy. It can also be used to solve problems involving heights, distances, and angles.