Phase Shift of two sinusoidal waves

In summary, the problem involves two sinusoidal waves in a string, defined by the wave functions y1 = 2.00 sin (20.0x – 32.0t) and y2 = 2.00 sin (25.0x – 40.0t), where x, y1, and y2 are in centimeters and t is in seconds. The task is to determine the phase difference between these two waves at the point x = 5.00 cm at t = 2.00 s and the positive x value closest to the origin for which the two phases differ by ±π at t = 2.00 s. To solve the first part, the phase equation Δφ = (25
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

Two sinusoidal waves in a string are defined by the wave functions
y1 = 2.00 sin (20.0x – 32.0t)
y2 = 2.00 sin (25.0x – 40.0t)
where x, y1, and y2 are in centimeters and t is in seconds.

(a) What is the phase differencebetween these two waves at the point x = 5.00 cm at t = 2.00 s?

(b) What is the positive x value closest to the origin for which the two phases differ by ±π at t = 2.00 s?
(At that location, the two waves add to zero.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved (a) (I'm just typing the abridged version to save some time, I know about the units):

Δφ = (25*x - 40*t) - (20*x - 32*t) = 5*x 8*t
We put in t = 2s and x = 5 cm and that's it.

But (b)'s giving me some trouble, because I'm not sure exactly what I'm meant to use. My official solutions manual, gives this answer:

(b) The sine functions repeat whenever their arguments change by an integer number of cycles, an integer multiple of 2π radians. Then the phase shift equals ±π whenever Δφ = π + 2nπ, for all integer values of n.
Substituting this into the phase equation, we have:

π + 2nπ = −(5.00 rad/cm)x + (8.00 rad/s)t

At t = 2.00 s, π + 2nπ = −(5.00 rad/cm)x + (8.00 rad/s)(2.00 s)
or (5.00 rad/cm)x = (16.0 − π − 2nπ) rad

The smallest positive value of x is found when n = 2:

x = (16.0 5 )rad/5.00 rad/cm = 0.058 4 cm

Okay, I understand what he says about the phase increasing by 2π with every cycle. And, after he gets his result, I understand why n = 2 ( n = 0 & n = 1 give larger numbers, n = 3 gives us a negative answer, so n = 2 gives us the smallest positive value of x). What I don't get, is how he came to the conclusion of Δφ = π + 2nπ. Also, Δφ = +- π, so where is the (-)?

As I've said before, english isn't my native tongue, so I'm basically missing some "key words", and I'm moving "faster" than I'd like to (i.e. not so much time spent reading the chapters), so any help would be apreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Darthkostis said:
Δφ = (25*x - 40*t) - (20*x - 32*t) = 5*x 8*t
We put in t = 2s and x = 5 cm and that's i
What are the units of Δφ?

haruspex said:
What are the units of Δφ?

The complete formula is: Δφ = (5.00rad/cm* x - 8.00rad/s* t)

I bypassed them to save some time.

Darthkostis said:
The complete formula is: Δφ = (5.00rad/cm* x - 8.00rad/s* t)

I bypassed them to save some time.
Yes, but my point is that from what you wrote you would have ended up with 9 radians, yes?
Darthkostis said:
Δφ = π + 2nπ. Also, Δφ = +- π, so where is the (-)?
The -π corresponds to +π with a different value of n. -π + 2nπ = π + 2(n-1)π.

haruspex said:
Yes, but my point is that from what you wrote you would have ended up with 9 radians, yes?

Yup, that's correct. Sorry I didn't add this, it's just that it didn't really have anything to do with the second part, so i just wrote down the "barebones" version.

haruspex said:
The -π corresponds to +π with a different value of n. -π + 2nπ = π + 2(n-1)π.

Oh, okay. That's one down. Now, could you make it a tad simpler/clearer why he takes Δφ = π + 2nπ ? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the previous paragraph ("The sine functions...we have:"). Dunno if it's because I'm missing something or if it's a "english is not my native tongue" related issue, but I'd appreciate a "dumbed down" version of it. I get the first part (with each cycle the phase increases by 2π), but afterwards I get a bit lost.

Darthkostis said:
Sorry I didn't add this,
Ok, but it would be a bit unusual to give a phase difference as "9 radians". Since a phase difference of φ is indistinguishable from one of φ+2π it would be more usual to quote a value either in the range -π to π or in the range 0 to 2π (or if the unsigned difference is wanted, just 0 to π).
Darthkostis said:
why he takes Δφ = π + 2nπ ?
Perhaps my note above explains that too. A phase difference of π is completely equivalent to a phase difference of π+2nπ for any integer n.

haruspex said:
Ok, but it would be a bit unusual to give a phase difference as "9 radians". Since a phase difference of φ is indistinguishable from one of φ+2π it would be more usual to quote a value either in the range -π to π or in the range 0 to 2π (or if the unsigned difference is wanted, just 0 to π).

I see. The manual just gives an answer of 9 rad as well, so I figured that was correct enough. I've never come across this though. We always just wrote down Δφ = "whatever the end result was".

haruspex said:
Perhaps my note above explains that too. A phase difference of π is completely equivalent to a phase difference of π+2nπ for any integer n.

Ah, okay, I think I get it now. Due to each phase φ increasing by n*2π each cycle, the Δφ, which is the difference between the two, would make the result the same again. Yeah, I think I've got it. I'll take a look at the theory again as well.

Thanks a ton for the help!

1. What is the phase shift of two sinusoidal waves?

The phase shift of two sinusoidal waves is the amount by which one wave is shifted in relation to the other. It is measured in degrees or radians and represents the horizontal displacement of the waves on a graph.

2. How is the phase shift calculated?

The phase shift can be calculated by finding the horizontal displacement between the two waves at a specific point in time. This can be done by determining the difference in their starting points or by finding the time difference between their peaks.

3. What does a phase shift of 180 degrees mean?

A phase shift of 180 degrees means that the two waves are completely out of phase, or in other words, one wave is shifted exactly halfway across the other. This results in destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

4. How does the amplitude affect the phase shift?

The amplitude of the waves does not affect the phase shift. The phase shift is only influenced by the horizontal displacement between the two waves and is not affected by their vertical amplitudes.

5. What is the significance of phase shift in real-life applications?

Phase shift is important in many real-life applications, including signal processing, communication systems, and audio engineering. It allows us to control the timing and synchronization of different waves, leading to more efficient and accurate data transmission and processing.