Need help understanding pressure vs weather systems

In summary, in moist air, the water vapor is mostly concentrated in the air, while in drier air, the water vapor is more spread out.
Square1
This is a subject that confuses me for a long time. Everywhere I go to get an understanding, I seem to run into the same explanations over and over which don't really do that much explaining. I find that only the basic elements of weather are explained, and overly basic examples that utilize them are used.

So, I would love for people to read my introductory post, answer some questions, and from there I can probably ask some follow up questions as needed to get to the bottom of some things.

I know that in the end, for rain to happen, the water in the air must condense into liquid from its vapor form..and fall down...There seem to be different ways that this can happen though.

One common explanation here is, to imagine hot sunny days (and presumably clear...) where the ground ends up heating up a lot. The surrounding air warms up, rises, and starts to cool at one point to form clouds and rain. Presumably the surface air has more water in it than upper air, so the new air can last only so long at higher altitude before its water condenses out.

(1) So how can you have a condition where it is really hot for days during the summer while the air is getting pumped into the sky, and yet, the skies remain practically clear?
(2-a) On a related note, let's say that location did end up getting rain. It is said that rain is associated with low pressure systems. Is it because as an area warms up, the air expands, pressure drops (the air is not closed off), rises, condenses, rains..etc, meanwhile the area still somehow remains relatively warm therefore the pressure is low? (2-b) But when it rains it is generally cooler than it was before. How to reconcile this? (2-c) Why in that case do we have those high pressure systems which commonly bring in heat waves or warm weather in the summers?

That's where I would like to begin. Thank you all :)

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Square1 said:
I know that in the end, for rain to happen, the water in the air must condense into liquid from its vapor form..and fall down...There seem to be different ways that this can happen though.

One common explanation here is, to imagine hot sunny days (and presumably clear...) where the ground ends up heating up a lot. The surrounding air warms up, rises, and starts to cool at one point to form clouds and rain. Presumably the surface air has more water in it than upper air, so the new air can last only so long at higher altitude before its water condenses out.

have a read of this from Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

particularly the section on Humidity and Dew Point. This explains how and why invisible water vapour in the air condenses and forms clouds
Square1 said:
(1) So how can you have a condition where it is really hot for days during the summer while the air is getting pumped into the sky, and yet, the skies remain practically clear?

most of that will also be answered in my link ... but briefly On those hot summer days, the air pressure and temperature will be higher and therefore the air can hold much more water vapour before condensation occurs, hence high humidity conditions ariseDave

EDIT: I did a post not so long ago with all this info in it ... still trying to find it for you

Last edited:
Thanks. I will check these out today!

Likes davenn
Square1 said:
(2-a) On a related note, let's say that location did end up getting rain. It is said that rain is associated with low pressure systems. Is it because as an area warms up, the air expands, pressure drops (the air is not closed off), rises, condenses, rains..etc, meanwhile the area still somehow remains relatively warm therefore the pressure is low? (2-b) But when it rains it is generally cooler than it was before. How to reconcile this? (2-c) Why in that case do we have those high pressure systems which commonly bring in heat waves or warm weather in the summers?

Might it be so simple as... ?

What is density of moist air compared to dry air ? Answer lies in molecular weights and parftial pressures.
Moist air is a mix of mostly nitrogen(mw=28), oxygen(mw=32), and water vapor(mw=18),
When dewpoint is 80F (S Florida moderate but a Phoenix monsoon),
saturation pressure is ½ psia , so air is about 0.5/14.7 = 3% water vapor.
When dewpoint is 40F (S Florid unheard of but Phoenix moderate)
saturation pressure is 1/8 psia so air is about 0.8% water vapor.
A column of dry air two miles high weighs more than a moist one (at the same temperature).
So the pressure at its bottom will be higher.
To solidify the concept you should calculate by how much.
Next -
The moist column holds a lot of "heat of vaporization" that the dry one just doesn't possess. So it's more likely to be unstable and make rain clouds.

Armed with that simple observation plus your gas laws from high school chemistry class,
see if this writeup makes sense of terms "Lapse Rate " and "Lifting Condensation Level" and "Adiabatic Expansions" .
http://homepage.smc.edu/morris_pete/physical/main/notes/pg-humidity.html

i hope this helps "the light switch on" for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between pressure and weather systems?

The pressure of the air in the atmosphere plays a significant role in determining weather patterns. Areas of high pressure typically have clear skies and calm weather, while low pressure areas are associated with cloudy skies and precipitation.

2. How does air pressure affect temperature?

Air pressure can affect temperature in two ways. First, as air rises in a low pressure system, it expands and cools, resulting in cooler temperatures. In contrast, as air sinks in a high pressure system, it compresses and warms, leading to higher temperatures. Additionally, areas of high pressure are often associated with sunny weather, which can also contribute to higher temperatures.

3. Can pressure systems predict weather patterns?

While pressure systems alone cannot accurately predict weather patterns, they are an important factor in weather forecasting. Meteorologists use information about pressure systems, as well as other factors such as temperature, wind patterns, and humidity, to determine future weather conditions.

4. How do pressure systems impact wind patterns?

Wind is caused by differences in air pressure, with air flowing from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. This means that pressure systems can have a significant impact on wind patterns. For example, a low pressure system can bring strong winds and storms, while a high pressure system may result in calmer winds.

5. How does pressure change with altitude?

As altitude increases, the air becomes less dense and the pressure decreases. This is because there is less air above pushing down on the air below. In fact, the pressure at the top of a mountain is lower than at sea level, which is why it can be more difficult to breathe at higher altitudes.