Need help with Basic Music Theory before learning Guitar

In summary, this website is a good resource for teaching music theory. It has a variety of videos which demonstrate different concepts.
glb_lub
Hello ,
I have recently joined a guitar class. And I am facing a problem with the terminology. I have to confess that terms such as notes, chords , scales, pitch seem Greek to me. I have had no experience with music before.

I am on the lookout for a book/website which teaches this stuff. It would be great if they have provided music samples for the same. So that I can experience what a C-Major chord sounds like. They would of course teach this stuff as the class progresses but still I wanted to get to the basics.

I searched for some websites on Google , but thought about asking the same over here so that I get to know if there are any standard websites which teach this stuff.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
glb_lub said:
Hello ,
I have recently joined a guitar class. And I am facing a problem with the terminology. I have to confess that terms such as notes, chords , scales, pitch seem Greek to me. I have had no experience with music before.

I am on the lookout for a book/website which teaches this stuff. It would be great if they have provided music samples for the same. So that I can experience what a C-Major chord sounds like. They would of course teach this stuff as the class progresses but still I wanted to get to the basics.

I searched for some websites on Google , but thought about asking the same over here so that I get to know if there are any standard websites which teach this stuff.

Thanks.
I found this youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKk_EISeFVY&feature=related

This is on piano, but he actually demonstrates a few major chords. If you know nothing at all this should help.

Ya. Nice Video. Plus the guy has got other videos in his playlist too. I'll have to hear it more than once.

Anyways how is this website :-
http://www.musictheory.net/

1. What is music theory?

Music theory is the study of the fundamental principles and elements of music, including pitch, rhythm, harmony, and form. It helps musicians understand and communicate music more effectively, and provides a framework for creating and analyzing music.

2. Why do I need to learn music theory before learning guitar?

Learning music theory before learning guitar can help you become a better musician overall. It will give you a more thorough understanding of how music works, which can improve your playing, songwriting, and ability to learn new songs. It can also help you communicate with other musicians and understand different styles of music.

3. What are the basic concepts of music theory that I should know before learning guitar?

Some basic concepts of music theory that are important for guitar players include understanding the musical alphabet, how to read sheet music and chord charts, knowing the major and minor scales, and understanding basic chord progressions and intervals.

4. How can I learn music theory before starting to play guitar?

There are many resources available for learning music theory, including books, online courses, and videos. It may be helpful to start by learning the basics of music theory on a piano or keyboard, as it can be easier to visualize and understand concepts on these instruments. You can also find guitar-specific music theory lessons and tutorials online.

5. Can I still learn guitar without knowing music theory?

Yes, it is possible to learn guitar without knowing music theory. However, having a basic understanding of music theory can greatly improve your playing and understanding of music. It can also make it easier to communicate with other musicians and learn new songs. It is never too late to start learning music theory, even if you have already been playing guitar for some time.