The workings of the mind, music, mathematics (and the subconscious)

In summary, when studying mathematics or music, listening to music seems to help improve performance.
supernova1203
I've noticed that when I am studying (particularly mathematics) and with music, i study a lot better, where previously i would have reached a brick wall in trying to find an answer or a solution, i start listening to music and i find the solution very quickly, for instance i just finished doing my arithmetic/geometric sequences school work, i was listening to this particular song while i was studying

i did a bit of an experiment where at first i started studying without music, and although i figured out most of the stuff, this one particular sequence i couldn't figure out, so i started listening to that song and all of a sudden i figured it out, and the other night i was working on recursive and general formulas for sequences, something similar happened, i started listening to music while i was studying (this time it was trance) and i studied better, faster, smarter and efficiently I think i was in the zone, as some people call it, here's an article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

I also found this little quote which i hope sheds light on this:

"Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. ~Gottfried Leibniz"

My question is does music really help? Or are these just meaningless coincidences that keep happening?

In ancient indian teachings people refer to just being, or existing, and the key is to shutting down on the mind, to just be is to not think at all (all that background noise in our heads, the sound of our own thoughts, white noise etc) you just exist, iv found i experience this state when I am either running(training for sprinting) or sometimes when I am studying mathematics or most often when I am listening to music while i study mathematics.

Im worried that if i only listen to music while i study ill become dependent on it, and use it as a crutch, which is why iv avoided in the past to listen to music while i study, i just recently stumbled upon it

An ex told of a story that supposedly stephen king told, he referred to this as the guys in the basement phenomenon, where he or someone else would reach a plateau or hit a wall, or get stuck somewhere and if they sort of stop thinking about it their mind subconsciously would find a solution to it. Here is another good video, watch the last 20 seconds if you don't have the patience to watch all of it

your thoughts are appreciated in this matter :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
if i focus on something it becomes rigid, music gives me away to limit my focus. meditation (running) is like that too. i weed out all the symbols and useless junk clogging up my thoughts and am left with a clearer view of the thoughts themselves. a little space between thoughts is a good thing if you want to make sense of things.

I personally find that listening to music while studying can be helpful for some people, but it may not work for everyone. It seems like it helps you get into a state of "flow" where you are completely focused and productive. However, it's important to not rely on it too much and also find other ways to get into that state of mind. It's also important to make sure the music isn't too distracting or overwhelming, as that can actually hinder your studying. Overall, it's great that you have found something that works for you, but it's important to not become dependent on it and continue to find other methods to help you study effectively.

1. How does music affect the brain?

Music has a profound impact on the brain. It can stimulate emotions, memories, and even physiological responses such as increased heart rate. This is because music activates various regions of the brain, including the auditory cortex, limbic system, and motor cortex. Additionally, listening to music can release neurotransmitters such as dopamine, which can affect our mood and motivation.

2. What is the relationship between mathematics and the brain?

The brain and mathematics have a complex and interconnected relationship. On one hand, mathematical abilities are largely dependent on the structure and functioning of the brain. On the other hand, learning and practicing mathematics can also shape and modify the brain's neural pathways. Studies have shown that individuals who excel in mathematics have stronger connections between different brain regions involved in mathematical processing.

3. How does the subconscious mind work?

The subconscious mind refers to the part of our mind that operates below our conscious awareness. It is responsible for storing and retrieving memories, processing emotions, and controlling automatic bodily functions. The subconscious mind is constantly active, even when we are asleep, and shapes our thoughts, behaviors, and perceptions. It can also influence our decision-making and affect our overall well-being.

4. How does the brain process information?

The brain is a highly complex organ that processes information in a multi-stage and parallel manner. It begins with sensory input from the environment, which is then processed by specialized regions of the brain. This information is then integrated and analyzed by higher-order brain regions, such as the prefrontal cortex. The brain also has the ability to filter and prioritize information, allowing us to focus on what is most important at any given moment.

5. How does our perception of reality influence our thoughts and behaviors?

Our perception of reality is shaped by our individual experiences, beliefs, and expectations. This can greatly influence our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. For example, if someone has a negative perception of themselves, they may exhibit low self-esteem and engage in self-sabotaging behaviors. Our perception of reality also plays a role in how we interpret and respond to external stimuli, which can impact our interactions with others and the world around us.