Which Comp Sci Degree Should I Choose for Better Earnings?

In summary, the individual is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas, and is considering pursuing a bachelor's degree in either computer science or business. They are currently struggling in their computer science courses and are wondering if getting a bachelor of arts in computer science would be a better option. They are primarily concerned about the salary potential and the difference in courses between the two degrees. The individual is also seeking advice on what skills and knowledge would be beneficial for their desired job after graduation.
carterhanan
TL;DR Summary: I need help choosing which degree to pursue. Read detailed part and cast a vote. If you feel like telling me some other things to consider please do!

Hello I am a sophomore at the University of Arkansas. I did a whole year of Business before switching to Comp Sci. I am struggling in Comp Sci right now but am pursuing a bachelors of science in comp sci. After looking at the different courses I can get a bachelors of art in comp sci and the courses are a whole lot easier to me. What should I do? The salary is going to be the biggest thing for me. Will I still make just as much money?

Physics news on Phys.org
carterhanan said:
After looking at the different courses I can get a bachelors of art in comp sci and the courses are a whole lot easier to me. What should I do?
What are the differences?
carterhanan said:
The salary is going to be the biggest thing for me. Will I still make just as much money?
Are you talking about working as a general computer programmer or as a business person with computer skills?

carterhanan said:
The salary is going to be the biggest thing for me. Will I still make just as much money?
The main thing any prospective employer will care about is not what words are printed on your degree but what you can do--what knowledge and skills you have. So my take would be to choose the degree that you believe will give you the best knowledge and skills for the kind of job you would like to get after you graduate.

Likes jim mcnamara, Wrichik Basu, dlgoff and 1 other person
carterhanan said:
I am struggling in Comp Sci right now
What parts are you struggling with? More theoretical concepts, or algorithms, or coding up those algorithms, etc.?

1. What are the different major choices within the Computer Science field?

Some common major choices within the Computer Science field include software engineering, data science, computer systems, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity.

2. How do I decide which major is right for me?

It is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when deciding on a major. Research each major to understand the courses and career opportunities it offers, and talk to current students or professionals in the field to gain more insight.

3. Are there any prerequisite courses for these majors?

The prerequisite courses may vary depending on the university and specific major. It is best to consult with an academic advisor or check the course catalog for the specific requirements of each major.

4. What skills are important for success in a Computer Science major?

Some essential skills for success in a Computer Science major include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, coding proficiency, and the ability to work well in a team.

5. Can I switch majors within the Computer Science field?

Yes, it is possible to switch majors within the Computer Science field. However, keep in mind that different majors may have different prerequisite courses and it may affect your graduation timeline. It is important to discuss this with an academic advisor before making a decision.