Need Help with Mathematical Proof? - Introducing Myself & Seeking Assistance

In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with a homework problem for their mathematical methods for physics course. The problem involves showing that the cross product of a vector and the gradient vector operator is perpendicular to the vector. The user asks for a mathematical proof using identities of triple cross products with the del operator. Other users suggest using the identity of the curl of a scalar function multiplying a vector function and the fact that the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is 0. The conversation ends with the user thanking everyone for their help and stating that they have figured out the solution.
advphys
Dear all,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I hope this is the right place to open this topic.

I have a homework for my mathematical methods for physics course and i am kind of stuck into a question:

v=ψ∇β
show that ∇xv is perpendicular to v.

Here v is a vector
x is cross product
∇ is gradient vector operator
ψ and β are non-vectoral functions

I know it seems obvious, but i need mathematical proof which probably contains some identities of triple cross product with del operator.
Like i said, i couldn't figure it out.

Already now, i want to thank you for all your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hint
∇xv=(∇ψ)x(∇β)
which is obvious from
∇x∇β=0

Hello AdvPhys,a) Use the identity of the curl of a scalar function multiplying a vector function
b) Use the fact that the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is 0
c) How do you prove that two vectors are perpendicular?
d) Conclude.

[Edit: previous post was giving too much info]

Last edited:
Thanks for replies.
But still can't figure out how to conclude the last scalar triple product gives 0.

Edit: I got that it is obvious. I have the same vector in both parts.

Again thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Hello,

Welcome to the forum! It is great to see students seeking assistance with their mathematical proofs. I understand that you are stuck on a question regarding the perpendicularity of ∇xv and v. This is a common topic in mathematical methods courses and can be quite challenging.

To prove that ∇xv is perpendicular to v, we need to use the properties of the cross product and the gradient operator. Let's start by writing out the definition of the cross product:

a x b = |a| |b| sin(θ) n

where a and b are vectors, θ is the angle between them, and n is the unit vector perpendicular to both a and b. Now, let's apply this to our problem:

∇xv = |∇| |v| sin(θ) n

We can also write v as:

v = |v| cos(θ) u

where u is the unit vector in the direction of v. Now, we can substitute this into the previous equation:

∇xv = |∇| |v| sin(θ) n = |∇| |v| sin(θ) cos(θ) n = |∇| |v| sin(θ) cos(θ) u

Since u is in the direction of v, we can write this as:

∇xv = |∇| |v| sin(θ) cos(θ) v

Now, we know that sin(θ) cos(θ) is equal to 1/2 sin(2θ). So, we can rewrite the equation as:

∇xv = 1/2 |∇| |v| sin(2θ) v

Finally, we can use the identity for the triple cross product:

a x (b x c) = (a · c) b - (a · b) c

Applying this to our equation, we get:

∇xv = 1/2 |∇| |v| [(v · v) ∇ - (v · ∇) v]

Since v · v is equal to |v|^2, we can rewrite the equation as:

∇xv = 1/2 |∇| |v|^3 [∇ - (v · ∇) v]

Now, we know that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is equal to 0. So

What is a mathematical proof?

A mathematical proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement or theorem. It is used to verify the validity of mathematical concepts and theories.

Why is learning how to write a mathematical proof important?

Learning how to write a mathematical proof is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows one to understand and communicate complex mathematical concepts more effectively.

What are the basic steps to writing a mathematical proof?

The basic steps to writing a mathematical proof include stating the theorem or statement to be proven, listing any given information or assumptions, providing a logical sequence of statements and justifications, and concluding with a clear and concise statement that summarizes the proof.

What are some common challenges when writing a mathematical proof?

Some common challenges when writing a mathematical proof include identifying the appropriate starting point, organizing the logical sequence of statements, and ensuring that each step is justified and follows logically from the previous one. Additionally, understanding and applying mathematical concepts and techniques can also be challenging.

Where can I find resources for help with writing mathematical proofs?

There are various online resources, such as math forums and tutorial websites, that offer assistance with writing mathematical proofs. Your school or local library may also have books or resources on proof-writing techniques. You can also seek help from a math tutor or your professor for personalized assistance.