Need help with Momentum Principle problem

In summary, the spacecraft, with a mass of 3.0 x 10^4 kg and a constant velocity of 0, 22, 0 km/s, briefly fires side thruster rockets as it passes the location 7, 7, 0 km. This results in a net force of 8.0 x 10^5, 0, 0 N for 22.5 s. After one hour, the spacecraft's final position is 2167000, 79207000, 0 meters. The approximations made were that the ejected gases have a small mass compared to the spacecraft, and the momentum is approximately m. The surroundings exerting external forces on the system were not mentioned.
fillipeano

Homework Statement

Suppose you are navigating a spacecraft far from other objects. The mass of the spacecraft is 3.0 x 10^4 kg (about 30 tons). The rocket engines are shut off, and you're coasting along with a constant velocity of ‹ 0, 22, 0 › km/s. As you pass the location ‹ 7, 7, 0 › km you briefly fire side thruster rockets, so that your spacecraft experiences a net force of ‹ 8.0 x 10^5, 0, 0 › N for 22.5 s. The ejected gases have a mass that is small compared to the mass of the spacecraft . You then continue coasting with the rocket engines turned off. Where are you an hour later? (Think about what approximations or simplifying assumptions you made in your analysis. Also think about the choice of system: what are the surroundings that exert external forces on your system?)

Homework Equations

Δp = ƩFΔt
rFinal = rInitial + (pFinal/mass)Δt

The answer is in meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint I was given said this: Apply one step of the Momentum Principle, then one step of the position update equation using the new velocity just after the short burn of the thruster rockets. At this low speed the momentum is approximately m.

pFinal = <18.0 x 10^6, 6.6 x 10^5, 0>
so my final position equation looks like this:
<7,7,0> + <2160000,79200,0>

But my answer is wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
fillipeano said:
pFinal = <18.0 x 10^6, 6.6 x 10^5, 0>
so my final position equation looks like this:
<7,7,0> + <2160000,79200,0>

Recheck the calculation of your pFinal, paying particular attention to the powers of ten. Could be that you've been bitten by a unit conversion somewhere along the line.

gneill said:
Recheck the calculation of your pFinal, paying particular attention to the powers of ten. Could be that you've been bitten by a unit conversion somewhere along the line.
I checked, my answer is still wrong ):

fillipeano said:
I checked, my answer is still wrong ):

Well, let's go through your calculation step by step. Suppose you start by presenting your calculation for the change in momentum, Δp.

Okay, for delta p I did force x time, I get 18000000

fillipeano said:
Okay, for delta p I did force x time, I get 18000000

Okay. That's 1.8 x 107 and it looks good. You should specify that it is a change in the x-component of the momentum (Momentum is a vector quantity). The units, of course, will be kg*m/s.

You can calculate the new velocity as [itex] v_1 = v_o + \frac{\Delta p}{M} [/itex]
where v1, vo and Δp are all vectors. What do you get for the components of v1?

Converting 22km/s into m/s I get 22000 m/s. Delta p/m = 600.

So, <0,22000,0> m/s + 600 kg m/s = <0,22600,0> kg m/s

Last edited:
fillipeano said:
Converting 22km/s into m/s I get 22000 m/s. Delta p/m = 600.

So, <0,22,0> m/s + 600 kg m/s = <0,22600,0> kg m/s

The force applied has only an x-component, so the Δp should have only an x-component, and the thus the velocity change should also be to the x-component. You've added the velocity change to the y-component.

Whoops, my bad.
<600,22000,0> for velocity.

fillipeano said:
Whoops, my bad.
<600,22000,0> for velocity.

That's better :smile:. Now, how about the position after 1 hour? Keep in mind that the initial position is specified in km (and likely the final answer is supposed to be in km units also).

Do I use rInitial + (pFinal/mass)*delta t?

rf = ri + v*t

Just like in 1D kinematics, only in this case the variables (except for time) are vectors.

You calculated v above. t and ri are given in the problem statement.

Last edited:
I'll convert my initial position to meters since the answer requires it in meters
rfinal = <7000,7000,0> + <600,22000,0>*3600s = <2167000, 29000, 0>

fillipeano said:
I'll convert my initial position to meters since the answer requires it in meters
rfinal = <7000,7000,0> + <600,22000,0>*3600s = <2167000, 29000, 0>

Your y-component is not correct; you failed to multiply the y-velocity component by the time.

Again, my bad ):
rfinal = <2167000,79207000,0>

fillipeano said:
Again, my bad ):
rfinal = <2167000,79207000,0>

Okay, that looks good. Be sure to include the units on any results that you submit!

Okay, thank you so much for your help! My problem was that I was not using rFinal = rInitial + v*t correctly!

1. What is the Momentum Principle?

The Momentum Principle, also known as Newton's Second Law of Motion, states that the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to the rate of change of its momentum. It is expressed as F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I solve a problem using the Momentum Principle?

To solve a problem using the Momentum Principle, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object, determine the acceleration, and then use the equation F = ma to find the net force. From there, you can use the equation p = mv to calculate the momentum of the object.

3. Can the Momentum Principle be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Momentum Principle can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and projectile motion. As long as there is a change in momentum, the principle can be applied.

4. What are some real-life examples of the Momentum Principle?

Some examples of the Momentum Principle in action include a car accelerating or decelerating, a ball being thrown or caught, a rocket launching into space, or a figure skater spinning faster or slower on the ice.

5. How does the Momentum Principle relate to the Law of Conservation of Momentum?

The Momentum Principle is a special case of the Law of Conservation of Momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total momentum before and after an interaction between objects is equal. This principle is often used in collisions and explosions to analyze the motion of objects.