How Can I Motorize My DIY Prize Wheel?

• Thread starter toresn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the wheel consists of a main wheel and a logo wheel. The main wheel gets going when you press a switch, and the logo wheel stays static. The wheel can be motorized using a small 12V DC motor.
toresn
I've made myself a prize wheel consisting of the following parts:

- Main wheel: Galvanized sheet metal plate (d=250 mm), with a fidget spinner glued on the back. Loosely attached to an M8 threaded axle.
- Logo wheel: Galvanized sheet metal plate (d=90 mm), with a M8 nut glued on the back. Attached to the same M8 threaded axle.

See video here:

This works nicely. However, instead of having to spin the wheel myself I thought it might be fun to have a DC motor handling this. The only problem is I don't know how.

I'd like the wheel to function in the same manner as the one I've already made. That is:

- The main wheel should get going when I press a NO (normally open) switch.
- It should keep on spinning after the switch is released (engine stops).
- The logo wheel should stay static.

I'm going to make another base for the wheel, with a flapper that will slow the wheel down and indicate the winning number. I have access to a sheet metal workshop, so I plan on building it using galvanized metal once I get an idea on how this thing should be designed.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I didn't understand your distinction between the Main Wheel and the Logo Wheel, but that doesn't really affect my suggestion.

I think the easiest way to do a pretty effective motorized spin-up mechanism for this would be to use a small 12V DC motor (powered by a "wall wart" transformer from the wall outlet) that couples to the wheel(s) via a rubber drive wheel. When you press down on the actuating lever, that tilts the rubber motor drive wheel against the outside surface of the wheel (at the outer edge) to make mechanical contact, and also closes an electrical switch that provides the 12V power to the motor. When you are happy with the big wheel's spinning speed, you release pressure on the motor lever, which releases contact between the motor's rubber drive wheel and the outer circumference edge of the metal wheel, and turns off power to the motor.

Could that work? It's pretty easy to prototype to see if you are happy with it.

Likes Asymptotic
It might be possible to use eddy currents. Eg mount a copper disc on the back of the wheel. Then use a DC motor to spin a magnet in close proximity to the copper. Eddy currents should cause the wheel to accelerate in the same direction. When you switch the motor off the magnet and wheel will continue to spin for awhile due to inertia. If you wanted to slow it down faster you could short out the motor rather than just switch it off. I think this should work but I've never built it.

1. How do I choose the right motor for my prize wheel?

The type of motor you choose will depend on the size and weight of your prize wheel. Generally, a stepper motor or a DC motor with a gearbox will work best for larger wheels, while smaller wheels may only require a simple DC motor. It's important to consider the torque and speed requirements of your wheel when selecting a motor.

2. Can I use a battery to power my motorized prize wheel?

Yes, you can use a battery to power your motorized prize wheel. However, it's important to make sure the battery has enough voltage and capacity to run the motor effectively. You may also need to use a motor controller to regulate the power and prevent the motor from overheating.

3. How do I attach the motor to the prize wheel?

The best way to attach the motor to the prize wheel is to use a mounting bracket or coupler. This will ensure that the motor is securely attached and can rotate the wheel smoothly. It's important to properly align the motor with the wheel to prevent any wobbling or uneven spinning.

4. Can I control the speed and direction of the prize wheel with the motor?

Yes, you can control the speed and direction of the prize wheel with the motor by using a motor controller. This device allows you to adjust the voltage and current going to the motor, which in turn controls its speed. You can also use a motor controller to reverse the direction of the motor's rotation.

5. Is it necessary to use a motor controller for a prize wheel?

While it's not absolutely necessary, a motor controller can greatly improve the performance of your motorized prize wheel. It allows for precise speed and direction control, as well as protecting the motor from overheating. If you want to have more control over your prize wheel and ensure its longevity, a motor controller is highly recommended.