Need help with Newtons laws. finding normal force.

In summary, the question involves finding the normal force by using trigonometry and the laws of natural states of motion. The correct answers were 56.824 N and 40.180 N, obtained by using the equations F_{N}=mgcos(\theta) and F_{g}sin\theta.
ThatStormy

Homework Statement

It includes a diagram so i just took a screenshot of the question.

2i0viuh.jpg

I don't undertand how to do this problem
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the normal force equal?

EDIT: you should probably draw a free body diagram to start also.

you can compute the normal force knowing two things: trigonometry and the laws of natural states of motion.

Rayquesto said:
you can compute the normal force knowing two things: trigonometry and the laws of natural states of motion.

Yes i know but how?

[itex]F_{N}=mgcos(\theta)[/itex] is what you would use. But really, just draw a FBD and figure out this yourself with the trig.

iRaid said:
[itex]F_{N}=mgcos(\theta)[/itex] is what you would use.

Yeah i got 28.411 but it is wrong...

28.412?

It's hard to see how you can get the normal force vector, but you can see it if you draw vectors large enough and spend enough time until you finally see the solution. The natural states of motion are rest and uniform speed which makes the net force 0.

iRaid said:
28.412?

yeah its wrong.

28N is probably the answer, if not then I don't know why it's marking it wrong and for the other 1 you just do [itex]F_{g}sin\theta[/itex]

the other one is the sintheta version because in static equalibrium the action is going to be equal to the reaction and in this case its the gravity in the x direction of the block. so, 0=Fpush-mgsin45.

The correct answers were
56.824 N (I multiplyed 2 x 28.412 in a desperate attempt to guess)
40.180 N (4.1 x 9.8 and also 28.412^2 + 28.412^2 = 40.180^2)

I have no idea why or how these worked lmao

N=mg(cosθ) +Fcosθ...(1)

Fsinθ=mgsinθ...(2)
i.e,F=mg=4.1 x 9.8=40.18
so,F=40.18

from (1),N=mgcosθ +mgcosθ [F=mg]
i.e,N=2mgcosθ=2 x 4.1 x 9.8 x cos 45°=56.83
so, N=56.83

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object and the forces acting upon it. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How do I find the normal force using Newton's Laws?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, and it acts perpendicular to the surface. To find the normal force using Newton's Laws, you would need to first identify all the forces acting on the object and then use the second law of motion, F=ma, to calculate the normal force.

4. What is the relationship between normal force and weight?

The normal force and weight are two equal and opposite forces that act on an object in contact with a surface. The normal force acts upwards and balances the weight of the object, which acts downwards due to gravity. When an object is at rest on a surface, the normal force is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object.

5. Can normal force be negative?

No, the normal force cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the force exerted by a surface to prevent an object from passing through it. If the normal force were to become negative, it would mean that the surface is pulling the object towards it, which is not possible.