NEED HELP with power series PLEASE

In summary, to get the first 6 terms of the power series for ln(x) centered at x=1, you can use the following formula: ln(x) = 0 + (x-1) + (-1) * (x-1)^2/2 + (2) * (x-1)^3/3! + (-6) * (x-1)^4/4! + (24) * (x-1)^5/5!. This formula is derived by taking the derivative of ln(x) and then finding the pattern in the resulting series. The series is valid for |x| < 1 and can also be used for x = 1 to find a series for ln(2
Icedfire01
I need to know how to get the first 6 terms of the power series for:
f(x)=ln(x) centered at x=1. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well

[tex]f'(x)=\frac {1}{x}[/tex]
[tex]f''(x)= - \frac {1}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]f'''(x)= \frac {2}{x^3}[/tex]
[tex]f^4(x)=- \frac {6}{x^4}[/tex]
[tex]f^5(x)=\frac {24}{x^5}[/tex]
[tex]f^6(x)=- \frac {120}{x^6}[/tex]

so [tex]f(1)=0, \ f'(1)=1, \ f''(1)=-1 , \ f'''(1)=2, \ f^4(1)=-6 , ...[/tex]

so [tex]\ln x \approx 0 + (x-1) + (-1) \frac {(x-1)^2}{2} + (2) \frac {(x-1)^3}{3!} + (-6) \frac {(x-1)^4}{4!}+ (24)\frac {(x-1)^5}{5!}[/tex]

thanks, and that 2nd term answer isn't supposed to be 2! on the bottom instead of 2 is it?

That's correct (even though, of course 2!=2); the full series expansion of ln(x) about
x=1 is
[tex]ln(x)=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{i+1}\frac{(x-1)^{i}}{i}[/tex]

the usual way to do this is to note that 1/(1+x) = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + x^4 -+ ...

Then integrate both sides. On the left you get ln(1+x) and on the right you get

well you do it... This will be valid wherever the series on the right converges, i.e. for |x| < 1. but also for x = 1, which yields a nice series for ln(2).

Related to NEED HELP with power series PLEASE

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑ an(x-c)n, where an is a sequence of constants and c is a fixed point. It represents a polynomial function and can be used to approximate various types of functions.

2. How do I find the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series can be found by using the ratio test. Take the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge. The radius of convergence will be the distance from the center point c to the nearest point at which the series still converges.

3. What is the general form of a power series?

The general form of a power series is ∑ anxn, where an is a sequence of constants and x is a variable. This form is usually used when the center point c is 0, making the power series a Maclaurin series.

4. How do I manipulate a power series to find its derivative or integral?

To find the derivative or integral of a power series, you can use term-by-term differentiation or integration. This means you can differentiate or integrate each term in the series separately, and then combine the results to get the derivative or integral of the entire series. Be sure to check the radius of convergence after manipulating the series.

5. What are some real-world applications of power series?

Power series have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to approximate functions and solve differential equations, making them useful in modeling and predicting various phenomena. They are also commonly used in signal processing and digital image processing.