Need help with practice MCAT question (acidit, basic or neutral?)

• Thread starter Nick tringali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutral
In summary, there is confusion about the answer key stating that the answer is D, but the explanation given does not make sense. The conversation discusses the definition of "amphoteric" and the acidity of Terminal Alkynes. Both parties agree that there must be a mistake in the book and confirm they have the correct edition.
Nick tringali
The answer key states the the answer is D but the explanation makes no sense to me. “ amphoteric means that it could behave either as an acid or as a base. The alcohol group is not the key in aqueous solution. Terminal Alkynes are acidic”. I don’t see a terminal triple bond.

Attachments

• F7427DDF-439E-423B-8F34-CD61CD4F78A8.jpeg
    F7427DDF-439E-423B-8F34-CD61CD4F78A8.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 163
Physics news on Phys.org
Nor do I. I assume there must be a mistake in the book. (You have got the right answer book for the right questions, haven't you? Same edition of both?)

Likes Nick tringali
mjc123 said:
Nor do I. I assume there must be a mistake in the book. (You have got the right answer book for the right questions, haven't you? Same edition of both?)
Yes, it must be a book mistake. Thank you.

1. What is the difference between acidity, basicity, and neutrality?

Acidity refers to the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while basicity refers to the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. A solution is considered neutral when the concentrations of both ions are equal.

2. How do you determine if a solution is acidic, basic, or neutral?

The pH scale is used to determine the acidity or basicity of a solution. A pH value of 7 is considered neutral, values below 7 are acidic, and values above 7 are basic. pH can be measured using a pH meter or calculated using the concentration of H+ or OH- ions in the solution.

3. What factors affect the acidity or basicity of a solution?

The concentration of H+ or OH- ions, temperature, and the presence of other ions or compounds can affect the acidity or basicity of a solution. For example, adding an acid or base to a solution can change its pH, and certain ions can act as buffers to maintain a stable pH.

4. How does acidity or basicity impact chemical reactions?

The acidity or basicity of a solution can affect the rate and direction of chemical reactions. Some reactions may only occur in acidic or basic conditions, while others may be catalyzed by the presence of H+ or OH- ions. Additionally, the pH of a solution can impact the solubility and stability of certain compounds.

5. How can I use the concept of acidity and basicity in my daily life?

Understanding acidity and basicity can be useful in many everyday situations, such as cooking, cleaning, and personal hygiene. For example, knowing that vinegar is acidic can help in pickling vegetables or cleaning surfaces, while knowing that baking soda is basic can aid in removing stains or odors. Additionally, maintaining a balanced pH in the body is important for overall health and can be achieved through proper nutrition and hydration.