Need help with some signals/systems [easy]

• Thread starter cpatel23
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristics of different functions in terms of linearity, memory, causality, time invariance, and stability. The first function, y(z) = x(z) + ez, is determined to be memoryless, causal, and unstable. However, it is uncertain if it is linear or time variant. The second function, ∑1i=-1x(z-i), is determined to have memory, causality, and linearity. Its stability is also confirmed, but it is unclear if it is time variant or invariant. The conversation ends with a request for further clarification and confirmation of the answers provided.
cpatel23
Hello.

Here is the question:
Are the following functions
a. linear or non linear
b. with memory or memoryless
c. causal or non causal
d. time invariant or time variant
e. stable or unstable

1. y(z) = x(z) + ez
I know that this function is memoryless, causal, and unstable (infinite in range due to exponential).
I am not sure about linearity or time variance

2. ∑1i=-1x(z-i)
I know that this function has memory, causal, linear, stable (finite in range).
I don't know how to find if time variant or time invariant.

I would appreciate the help. My answers may be wrong as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
To test if a function is time invariant you need to check that
if x(t) = y(t)
then
x(t+k) = y(t+k)

so for question 2 expand the sumation and try the test :)

1. What is the purpose of signals and systems?

The purpose of signals and systems is to analyze and process various types of signals, such as audio, video, and data signals, in order to extract useful information and understand how they behave in different systems.

2. What are some common applications of signals and systems?

Some common applications of signals and systems include telecommunications, control systems, audio and video processing, medical imaging, and digital signal processing.

3. What is the difference between a continuous-time and discrete-time signal?

A continuous-time signal is a signal that is defined at every point in time, while a discrete-time signal is only defined at specific points in time. Continuous-time signals are represented by mathematical functions, while discrete-time signals are represented by sequences of numbers.

4. What is the Fourier transform and why is it important in signals and systems?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It is important in signals and systems because it allows us to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights and aid in signal processing tasks.

5. How can signals and systems be represented mathematically?

Signals and systems can be represented mathematically using differential equations, difference equations, and transfer functions. These mathematical representations allow us to model and analyze the behavior of signals and systems in a concise and efficient manner.