Need quick help - Ball swings down, hits block - Speed of the block?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question regarding potential energy and kinetic energy. The person is struggling to find the correct answer and has tried different methods, but all have been wrong. Another person suggests using the energy theorems and calculating the potential energy at hi and hf. They explain that the difference between these values will equal the gain in kinetic energy of the box. The person then asks for clarification and the formula for kinetic energy is provided. They also point out that using mgh yields potential energy, not speed, and the formula for calculating kinetic energy is provided again. The conversation ends with the person still unsure of how to relate velocity to kinetic energy and asking for further explanation.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Ok I can't seem to figure this out. Maybe I am tired, or strung out on coffee :), but I need some help!

The image shows the question with diagram:

30hqag4.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Iv done this a few different ways, but all WRONG. The CORRECT answer is V = 0.767 m/s

First I found the speed of the ball by going mgh (.300)(9.8)(.500) which gave me 1.47 m/s

Then I found the speed as it left the block after hitting it by the same method. Which would be 0.588 m/s

So then I simply used: m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

(.300)(1.47) + (.200)(0) = (.300)(.588) + (.200)(x) and solve for x gave me: 1.32 m/s

WHAT am I doing WRONG?

Very appreciate any help on this one guys. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would determine the potential energy that the object has at hi, and then determine the potential energy at hf. The difference between these values will equal the gain in kinetic energy of the box.

Can you possibly elaborate on that for me? :)

Have you explored any energy theorems in Physics yet, pertaining to potential energy and kinetic energy?

sandy.bridge said:
Have you explored any energy theorems in Physics yet, pertaining to potential energy and kinetic energy?

Yes I have.

So, you are saying determine the potential energy at Hi and Potential energy at Hf

Once I have those to peices of data, what do I do with them?

You will notice that at h2 the object has a smaller potential energy than it did when it was at hi; that is, energy was transferred from the ball to the block, which can be seen as kinetic energy.

so is it like...

So to calculate the potential energy at Height initial: its (m)(g)(h) ?

same with height final? (m)(g)(h) ?

Yes, assuming constant mass, we have,
[tex]m_{ball}g(h_1-h_2)=\frac{1}{2}mv_{block}^2[/tex]

Is that expression saying that the difference in potential energy = the same amount in Kinetic energy?

In words, the loss of energy depicted by the swinging ball can be accounted for by the gain in kinetic energy of the box. The potential energy of the ball changed did it not? Law of of conservation of mass implies the energy of the system remains constant, and hence is merely a transfer from the ball to the box.

So I have then kinetic energy of .882 applied to the block.

How do I use that to find the blocks speed?

What is the formula for kinetic energy? I already provided it to you.

nukeman said:
First I found the speed of the ball by going mgh (.300)(9.8)(.500) which gave me 1.47 m/s
mgh yields potential energy in Joules, not speed. You need to use the kinetic energy equation relating velocity to KE in order to find the speed that comes from converting this PE to KE.

sandy.bridge said:
What is the formula for kinetic energy? I already provided it to you.

KE = 1/2mv^2

gneill said:
mgh yields potential energy in Joules, not speed. You need to use the kinetic energy equation relating velocity to KE in order to find the speed that comes from converting this PE to KE.

How do you do this? :( Relating Velocity to KE?

nukeman said:
How do you do this? :( Relating Velocity to KE?

See your post immediately above! KE = (1/2) MV2.

If some potential energy PE = Mgh is converted to kinetic energy KE = (1/2) MV2, then that means KE = PE.

Mgh = (1/2) MV2. Solve for V.

Related to Need quick help - Ball swings down, hits block - Speed of the block?

1. What is the relationship between the speed of the block and the force of impact?

The speed of the block and the force of impact are directly proportional. This means that as the speed of the block increases, the force of impact also increases. This is due to the basic physics principle that states that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). As the speed of the block increases, its acceleration also increases, resulting in a higher force of impact.

2. How does the height of the block affect the speed of the block?

The height of the block does not directly affect the speed of the block. However, the height can affect the potential energy of the block, which can then be converted into kinetic energy as the block falls. This can result in a higher speed of the block upon impact.

3. What is the role of gravity in this scenario?

Gravity plays a crucial role in this scenario. It is the force that pulls the block and causes it to accelerate towards the ground. Without gravity, the block would not fall and there would be no impact or motion.

4. How does the angle of the block's swing affect its speed?

The angle of the block's swing can affect its speed in two ways. Firstly, a steeper angle will result in a faster speed as the block falls a greater distance. Secondly, the angle can also affect the direction of the block's motion, which can then impact the speed upon impact.

5. Can the speed of the block be accurately calculated?

Yes, the speed of the block can be accurately calculated using the formula for average speed: speed = distance/time. By measuring the distance the block falls and the time it takes to fall, the speed can be calculated. However, factors such as air resistance and friction may affect the accuracy of the calculation.