Need replacement advise for KA3525A IC

• Thread starter HomeExperiement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise Ic
In summary, the SG3525A may be a direct replacement for the KA3525A. The SG3525A has the same pin-out, internal block diagram and reference voltage, so it is likely to be compatible.
HomeExperiement
Hi!

I need to replace KA3525A IC because I damaged mine with shorted potentiometer. I have question: I also has KH52AD marking on it. Is this also important? I can find KA3525A from aliexpress but KH52AD doesn't seem to show this unit. And when I search for KA3525A, also SG3525A seems to show up in search results quite often. Can they both be used interchangeably is it important that it is KA3525A (like is one just newer model than other or are the 2 different things)?

Attachments

• KA3525A.JPG
    KA3525A.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 369
Engineering news on Phys.org
The KA3525A is a common SMPS controller IC in a 16 pin DIP.
KH52AD may be a manufacturing plant and date code.
The SG3525A has the same pin-out, internal block diagram and reference voltage, so I expect it is a direct replacement.

Ok, tnx. I also noticed that SG3525A is better documented. What do you exactly mean by direct replacement?
Also, which one should I get? SG3525A seemed to have a bit longer feature list so it looks like newer but I am not 100% sure. In other words replacing KA3525A with SG3525A should be fine?

The 3525A is an very common (and old) SMPS control IC. The prefix letters usually just refer to the manufacturer. They are very likely to be compatible, certainly in pin-out and function. Unfortunately, the only way you'll know for sure is to compare the data sheets. Assuming no one's life depends on it, I would just replace it with SG3525A.

BTW the SG stands for Silicon General, the original company (long gone, now part of TI) that originally designed this IC in the early 1980's. This is the most common part number for this IC amongst generic manufacturers.

HomeExperiement said:
What do you exactly mean by direct replacement?
The masks used to make the silicon chip may be different from different manufacturers, but the specifications will be equivalent to, or better than, the original product. Two manufacturers may merge, or may agree to share some masks to become a second source for an identical product.

The “quantity of specifications” will be reduced as more manufacturers begin to manufacture direct equivalents. The best data sheets and application notes are usually from the original manufacturer, since it was in their interest to help engineers introduce the new product.

Related to Need replacement advise for KA3525A IC

1. What is the purpose of the KA3525A IC?

The KA3525A IC is a pulse width modulation (PWM) controller that is commonly used in power supply circuits. It is responsible for regulating the output voltage of the power supply by adjusting the duty cycle of the PWM signal.

2. How do I know if my KA3525A IC needs to be replaced?

If your power supply is not functioning properly, it could be a sign that the KA3525A IC needs to be replaced. You can also use a multimeter to check the IC for any signs of damage, such as a short circuit or open circuit.

3. Can I replace the KA3525A IC with a different IC?

It is not recommended to replace the KA3525A IC with a different IC, as it is specifically designed for power supply circuits and may not be compatible with other ICs. It is best to replace it with the same model or a recommended equivalent.

4. How do I replace the KA3525A IC?

Replacing the KA3525A IC involves desoldering the old IC from the circuit board and soldering the new IC in its place. It is important to follow proper soldering techniques and use the correct tools to avoid damaging the IC or the circuit board.

5. Where can I purchase a replacement KA3525A IC?

The KA3525A IC can be purchased from electronic component suppliers or online retailers. It is important to ensure that you are purchasing a genuine IC from a reputable source to ensure its quality and compatibility with your circuit.