Need some assistance with integration

In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral ∫ x^(5)-2x^(2)-1/3x^(4) dx using the power rule and splitting the expression into three separate expressions. The person is stuck on the algebra and asks for step-by-step help. They provide their attempt at a solution but ask for clarification on the correct approach.
Brownfractals

Homework Statement

∫ x^(5)-2x^(2)-1/3x^(4) dx

Homework Equations

I am familiar with the power rule and how to split the expression into three separate expressions and then simplifying. I just can't seem to sort out my algebra for this problem.

xn dx = xn+1

n + 1 + C if n is NOT= -1
x-1 dx = ln|x|+ C

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is where i become stuck...Please show me a step by step process to solving the remainder of this problem; that way i can analyze it more deeply. Please Point out any things that seem wrong,i would REALLY appreciate the help given. :) :

∫ (x^5/3x^4 -2x^2/3x^4 -1/3x^4)dx = ∫ 1/3x -2x^(-2) -1/3x^(-4)dx = ∫ (x^2/6 + 2/x +1/9x^3) + C <------- This is the part where i become flabbergasted. . .Its simple I am sure but i just cannot see it. I was thinking about multiplying the whole expression by 18x^3 but i am not sure if that is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Before we can give you help, can you clarify with parentheses what your integrand is? Is it (x5-2x2-1)/(3x4)? I ask, because it is difficult to read the problem and your work without parentheses.

Also, when you write stuff like this
xn dx = xn+1

n + 1 + C if n is NOT= -1
x-1 dx = ln|x|+ C​

it's difficult to discern that xn means xn or that x-1 means x-1. At the very least, use ^ more consistently.

Related to Need some assistance with integration

1. What is integration?

Integration is the process of combining different parts or elements to form a whole. In mathematics, integration involves finding the area under a curve on a graph by adding up infinitely small rectangles. In other fields, integration can refer to the merging of systems, processes, or data to create a unified whole.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration allows for a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems by taking into account all the different components and how they interact with each other. It can also improve efficiency and streamline processes by eliminating duplication and overlaps.

3. How is integration used in science?

In science, integration is used to bring together different theories, models, and data to form a more complete understanding of a phenomenon. For example, in biology, integration of different fields such as genetics, physiology, and ecology can provide a more holistic understanding of how organisms function.

4. What are some challenges with integration?

Some challenges with integration include reconciling conflicting information or data, ensuring compatibility between different systems or processes, and managing the complexity of integrating multiple components.

5. What are some tools or techniques for integration?

There are various tools and techniques for integration, depending on the specific context. In mathematics, techniques such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and numerical methods like Simpson's rule can be used for integration. In other fields, tools such as data integration software, interoperability standards, and collaboration platforms can aid in the process of integration.