Need some help -- Power Factor Correction for a Motor

In summary, a 12.5 kW motor needs to have an operating efficiency of 85% and a power factor of 0.86 lagging. The power utility requires that the power factor be 0.96 lagging or better, so adding a capacitor to the motor would achieve this. The current in the capacitor leads the supply voltage by 90°, and the capacitance must be equal to 0.96 sin(16.26°), or 80.44 μF.
Kasim
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi there. I am wondering if someone can help me.. Below is a question and answer, I need help with IV . Where does the 0.51 and 0.28 come from? I've tried cos and sin and thitha but doesn't give me correct number

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 500
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 527
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Seriously? You ask people for help by posting a tiny unreadable image of something

Cant you enlarge it by opening the actual picture? Sorry but I am new here..

Kasim said:
Cant you enlarge it by opening the actual picture? Sorry but I am new here..
The "enlargement" is tiny

The issue is not about this forum it's about the size of the image you posted.

A 12.5 kW motor is to be powered from a 440 V, 50 Hz supply. Data from

factory testing indicates the motor has an operating efficiency of 85% and

that the power factor is 0.86 lagging. The power utility feeding the factory

requires that the motor’s power factor is 0.96 lagging or better.(i) Explain how the addition of a capacitor to the motor would give the required power factor.

(ii) Determine the motor current in the original configuration.

(iii) Determine the supply current with the capacitor in place.

(iv) Determine the current flowing in the capacitor.

(v) Calculate the value of the capacitance which must be added to give the

desired performance

(vi) Determine the ‘VAr’ rating of the additional component.

(ii) Efficiency of motor = Power output/power input,

ð 0.85 = 12500/power input

ð power input = 14706 WPower input = VImcosФ = (440)(I)(0.86)

ð I am = 14706/(440)(0.78) =

ð I am = 42.85 A

The motor current I am is 42.85 A(iii) The current in the parallel capacitor leads the supply voltage by 90°.

The phasor sum of the original current I am and the capacitor current Ic must be such that the supply current Is lags by 0.96 or better.Resistive component of motor current = I am cosФ = (42.85)(0.86) = 36.85 AResistive component of new supply current = Is cosФ’ = Is (0.96) = 0.96 Is AAs resistive component of current does not change => 36.85 = 0.96 Is

=> New supply current, Is = 38.39 A(iv) Reactive component of motor current = I am sinФ = (42.85)(0.51) = 21.87 AReactive component of new supply current = Is sinФ’ = (38.39)(0.28) = 10.75 AAs reactive component of current in capacitor is balance of current => Ic = 21.87 – 10.75

=> Capacitor current, Ic = 11.12 A(v) Capacitor current, Ic = V/Xc => Xc = V/Icð 1/(2πfC) = V/Ic

ð C = Ic /(2πfV) = 11.12/(2π(50)(440))

ð C = 1.26 x 10-4 = 80.44 μF
(vi) The var rating of the capacitor = VIc = (440)(11.12) = 4.89 kvar

Old PF is cosФ = 0.86 = arccos(0.86) = 30.68° so the sin of 30.68° degrees is sin (30.68°) = 0.51
Since the new PF must be equal to cosФ = 0.96 = arccos(0.96) = 16.26° so the sin of 16.26° is 0.28.

Last edited:
Thank you

What is power factor correction for a motor?

Power factor correction for a motor is a process that involves adjusting the electrical system of a motor to improve its power factor. Power factor is a measure of how efficiently a motor uses electricity, and a higher power factor means the motor is using electricity more efficiently.

Why is power factor correction necessary for motors?

Power factor correction is necessary for motors because it helps to reduce energy losses, improve the motor's efficiency, and reduce electricity costs. Motors with a low power factor can cause issues with the electrical system, such as overheating and voltage drops. By correcting the power factor, these issues can be avoided.

How is power factor correction for a motor performed?

Power factor correction for a motor is typically performed by adding power factor correction capacitors to the motor's electrical system. These capacitors help to balance out the reactive power and improve the power factor. The size and placement of the capacitors will depend on the specific motor and its usage.

What are the benefits of power factor correction for a motor?

The benefits of power factor correction for a motor include improved energy efficiency, reduced electricity costs, and a longer lifespan for the motor. It can also help to improve the overall stability of the electrical system and reduce the risk of power outages or damage to other electrical equipment.

Is power factor correction necessary for all motors?

Power factor correction is not necessary for all motors. It is most beneficial for larger motors that have a high usage, as they tend to have a lower power factor. Smaller motors may not require power factor correction, but it is always recommended to consult with an expert to determine if it would be beneficial for your specific motor and usage.