Need some help with forces on a dangling prism Internal Assessment

In summary: Ft would depend on phi.I think it's similar to a static ladder against the wall problem but I don't know if the horizontal normal force of a ladder touching the side of a wall functions the same as the object hanging from a string while still touching the ground.One possible difference between the two cases is that in the ladder case, the force of gravity is constantly pulling on the ladder, whereas in the hanging case, the net force is zero. In summary, the hanging case is similar to the static ladder against the wall problem, but the ladder case has a constant force of gravity pulling on it.
yanshu liang

Homework Statement

I made an apparatus of a rectangular prism dangling from a vertical string from one side while the other is touching the ground. The relationship I'am trying to find is between the angle of the prism relative to the ground and the normal force exerted up wards. I am stuck on how I should find the relationship between the normal force and the angle of the object relative to the ground, What I have found out so far is that Ft + Fn = Fg because the object is not moving and string is vertical so net force is zero. I think it's similar to a static ladder against the wall problem but I don't know if the horizontal normal force of a ladder touching the side of a wall functions the same as the object hanging from a string while still touching the ground. I just need some input on how Ft and Fn differ when on side is hanged from a vertical string vs when one side is leaning against the wall.
Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use torque by stating net torque was zero but have no idea to proceed when there is normal force on one side and tension force on another.
http://imgur.com/a/FEiDi
upload_2017-3-12_16-30-38.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
yanshu liang said:
What I have found out so far is that Ft + Fn = Fg
Yes, good.

I attempted to use torque by stating net torque was zero but have no idea to proceed when there is normal force on one side and tension force on another.
What if you pick the origin for calculating torques at the midpoint of the edge that's in contact with the ground? Think about the lengths of the lever arms for the three forces with this choice of origin.

yanshu liang said:
I do not understand why that should create any difficulty. Please post your attempt and say why you are stuck.

http://imgur.com/a/6cArN
Cos theta cancels out, the relationship I am trying to find is how does the change in theta affect the normal force of the object but since theta cancels I am not sure how to continue with this problem.

The horizontal distance from point where the rope is attached, to the center of mass is not equal to the horizontal distance from the center of mass to the point where the prism (isn't this a block?) touches the floor. The tickness is important. If you used a flat plate your computation would be correct. Fn would be Fg/2 and would not depend on phi,

What is the purpose of the "forces on a dangling prism" internal assessment?

The purpose of this internal assessment is to investigate the forces acting on a prism that is suspended by a string, and to analyze the relationship between these forces and the motion of the prism.

What equipment is needed to conduct this internal assessment?

The equipment needed includes a prism, a string, a support stand, a protractor, and various weights to hang from the prism.

How do I calculate the forces acting on the prism?

To calculate the forces, you will need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. You will also need to consider the forces of tension and gravity acting on the prism.

What variables should I control in this internal assessment?

It is important to control the mass and shape of the prism, as well as the length and tension of the string. Additionally, the angle at which the prism is suspended should be kept constant throughout the experiment.

How can the results of this internal assessment be applied to real-world situations?

The principles learned in this internal assessment can be applied to real-world situations involving objects suspended by strings, such as pendulums and bridges. Understanding the forces at play can help engineers design structures that can withstand certain forces and predict their motion.