Need Suggestions for Problems Regarding Strings in Physics

In summary, the problem is to find a way to continuously accelerate a massless particle towards the speed of light.
avenged*7
I am currently compiling, solving, and adding complexities to problems involving strings in physics. The scope of my work covers basically everything: from introductory physics to string theory. I'm looking for any suggestions for problems and any way to add complexities to a given problem. I've spent a while finding, solving, and typing some up in LaTeX but I would like to find as many as possible. A few examples that I have already done are the brachistochrone (though it isn't really a "string problem"), the vibrating string (including a discussion of the various boundary conditions), the boat problem (from David Morin's Classical Mechanics book), the relativistic string (incomplete, barely started), the Atwood machine, the simple pendulum, among others (which I really just wrote down). Some examples of added complexity are elasticity, variable density, etc. I welcome any suggestions for more problems (especially if they come with the title of the book in which they are posed), as well as ways to add complexity. The only stipulation is that they must involve strings (ie the physics must be "tied" to the string in some important way). Thanks for any suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
avenged*7 said:
I am currently compiling, solving, and adding complexities to problems involving strings in physics. The scope of my work covers basically everything: from introductory physics to string theory. I'm looking for any suggestions for problems and any way to add complexities to a given problem. I've spent a while finding, solving, and typing some up in LaTeX but I would like to find as many as possible. A few examples that I have already done are the brachistochrone (though it isn't really a "string problem"), the vibrating string (including a discussion of the various boundary conditions), the boat problem (from David Morin's Classical Mechanics book), the relativistic string (incomplete, barely started), the Atwood machine, the simple pendulum, among others (which I really just wrote down). Some examples of added complexity are elasticity, variable density, etc. I welcome any suggestions for more problems (especially if they come with the title of the book in which they are posed), as well as ways to add complexity. The only stipulation is that they must involve strings (ie the physics must be "tied" to the string in some important way). Thanks for any suggestions!
What is called string theory in physics has nothing to do with any of the examples you have mentioned. So it is rather unclear what you are trying to do, and why.

I know that. Excluding the string theory part, it should be pretty obvious what I am doing. If you have a suggestion then feel free to leave one, otherwise, please don't clog the thread.

avenged*7 said:
I know that. Excluding the string theory part, it should be pretty obvious what I am doing.
You're the one who mentioned "string theory". So don't be surprised if eyebrows are raised.

This is what I was trying to avoid: a debate over semantics. While I appreciate your taking the time to read and think about my post, I ask only for replies which contain helpful information. I didn't want to create a long detailed first post, since I figured people would likely skip over it. FYI, I am doing this as a "test project" and there is clearly no end to it. I was trained by the Army to pay attention to detail and some of my ideas were a bit too detailed. Some of the things I have written about, I was informed, weren't exactly what I should be considering. I want to be a theorist, yet sometimes I over-think things (if that is even applicable to a theorist) and so I want to see how others would approach the problem. I'm not asking for solutions, I am asking for the problems themselves and ideas about how to make them harder (yet still solvable). While I understand that my characterization of a "string problem" is vague at best, that is exactly how the task was posed to me -- exactly as I stated it. Furthermore, the "strings" in string theory are quite similar to those in standard physics (ex. the vibrating string problem that I already worked for every standard boundary condition), it's just that there are other objects (like branes, etc) and other elements (extra dimensions, compactification, shapes of strings, etc) of the theory that may be considered. Thanks again for your time and please only respond if you have a suggested problem and/or alteration.

How about problem 4..

http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys513/Modules/module2/problems2.htm

Yeah that's a good one. Thanks

1. What are some common problems involving strings in physics?

Some common problems involving strings in physics include calculating tension forces, determining the speed of a wave traveling along a string, and analyzing the motion of a pendulum attached to a string.

2. How can I use string theory to solve physics problems?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the forces and particles in the universe. It is still a highly debated topic and has not yet been proven experimentally, so it is not typically used to solve physics problems. However, some physicists use string theory concepts to make predictions and explore theoretical scenarios.

3. What is the relationship between string length and frequency of vibration?

The frequency of vibration of a string is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the string increases, the frequency of vibration decreases. This relationship is described by the equation f = (1/2L)√(T/μ), where f is the frequency, L is the length of the string, T is the tension, and μ is the linear density of the string.

4. How do I calculate the tension in a string?

The tension in a string can be calculated using the equation T = μg, where T is the tension, μ is the linear density of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the string is in a state of equilibrium, with no external forces acting on it.

5. What is the difference between a string and a rope in physics?

In physics, a string and a rope are essentially the same thing. They both refer to a thin, flexible material that is used to transmit forces and energy. However, in common usage, a rope is typically thicker and stronger than a string, and is often used for tasks such as lifting or climbing, while a string is usually thinner and more delicate.