Need to find a good book for speaking formal English

In summary: It can make a big difference in how well they present material. :smile:In summary, this book is a good match for what you are looking for and it is reasonably priced.
Rzbs
Could anyone introduce a good book thet help second language English learners to speak formally in scientific position? I mean a book that learn how to ask and talk with other persons in a scientific position like seminars, online discussion and so on in a formal manner?

Is it as good book for start?

English for Academic Correspondence and Socializing by Adrian Wallwork

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rzbs said:
English for Academic Correspondence and Socializing by Adrian Wallwork
That does look to be a good match for what you are looking for...

https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781441994011

It seems relatively inexpensive at $15 for paperback, so it's probably worth giving it a try. Also, since many seminars are recorded, it seems like you could get a lot out of just watching a number of presentations from seminars in areas of science that you have an interest. You will see different presentation styles, and you could even pause the video at some points and repeat back what you have heard.

Likes member 587159 and Rzbs
Also, check to see if there is a "Toastmasters" group near you (I think there are also online versions available now during the Pandemic):

https://www.toastmasters.org/

They provide a great way to practice giving presentations and talks and speeches and getting constructive feedback on how to improve your presentations. I was part of a similar program back in my high school days, and it was very helpful in getting me to feel more comfortable giving presentations and talks to groups of all sizes. I highly recommend that you look into Toastmasters and similar programs. :smile:

berkeman said:
Also, check to see if there is a "Toastmasters" group near you (I think there are also online versions available now during the Pandemic):

https://www.toastmasters.org/

They provide a great way to practice giving presentations and talks and speeches and getting constructive feedback on how to improve your presentations. I was part of a similar program back in my high school days, and it was very helpful in getting me to feel more comfortable giving presentations and talks to groups of all sizes. I highly recommend that you look into Toastmasters and similar programs. :smile:
Thanks. I haven't heard about that. It seems good and help to improve my english more quickly.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
That does look to be a good match for what you are looking for...

https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781441994011

It seems relatively inexpensive at $15 for paperback, so it's probably worth giving it a try. Also, since many seminars are recorded, it seems like you could get a lot out of just watching a number of presentations from seminars in areas of science that you have an interest. You will see different presentation styles, and you could even pause the video at some points and repeat back what you have heard.

A side note to this excellent advice is that you may want to check if the speaker is from a country that has English as a native language.

Likes vanhees71, berkeman and Rzbs

1. What are some good books for improving formal English speaking skills?

Some good books for improving formal English speaking skills include "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White, "The Art of Public Speaking" by Dale Carnegie, and "Speak Like Churchill, Stand Like Lincoln" by James C. Humes.

2. How can reading help improve formal English speaking?

Reading can help improve formal English speaking by exposing you to a wide range of vocabulary, sentence structures, and writing styles. It can also help you become more familiar with the rules of grammar and punctuation, which are important in formal speaking.

3. Are there any specific genres or types of books that are better for improving formal English speaking?

While any type of reading can help improve formal English speaking, non-fiction books and literary classics are often recommended as they tend to use more complex language and sentence structures. Biographies and speeches of influential figures can also be helpful for learning how to speak in a formal and persuasive manner.

4. Can audiobooks be useful for improving formal English speaking?

Audiobooks can be useful for improving formal English speaking, as they allow you to listen to proper pronunciation and intonation while also following along with the written text. However, it is important to also read the text yourself to fully grasp the language and improve your reading skills.

5. How often should I read in order to see improvement in my formal English speaking?

The frequency of reading can vary for each individual, but it is recommended to read at least 30 minutes to an hour every day. Consistency is key, so try to make reading a daily habit. Additionally, practicing speaking out loud and using new vocabulary and sentence structures from your reading can also help improve your formal English speaking skills.