Need to Find OCV for H2O2 Fuel Cell

In summary, to calculate the open cell voltage for an H2/O2 fuel cell operating at 1 atm and 100°C, the Nernst equation is used with the activity of water as 1 and the partial pressures of hydrogen and oxygen as 1 atm and 0.21 atm respectively. The resulting equation, E=1.17V+((8.314J/mol-K)*(373K))/((2e-)*(96486C/e-))*ln[(PH2*PO2^1/2)/PH2O], can then be solved for the open cell voltage.
Kuriger9

Homework Statement

Calculate the open cell voltage for an H2/O2 fuel cell operating at P=1atm and T = 100°C

Homework Equations

Nernst Eq: Eo+(RT/nF)*ln[(aH2)*(aO2^1/2)/(aH2O)]

The Attempt at a Solution

E=1.17V+((8.314J/mol-K)*(373K))/((2e-)*(96486C/e-))*ln[(PH2*PO2^1/2)/PH2O]

I'm not sure what the partial pressures should be such as: PH2, PO2^1/2, and PH2O.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Chances are I need a coffee and I am missing something obvious. If so, there are already two of us.

Activity of water is just 1. But unless there is some convention in describing fuel cells that I have no idea about, I don't see what "operating at P=1atm" is intended to mean. Perhaps it is hydrogen at 1 atm and atmospheric oxygen (so at 0.21 atm?). But if so, wording is ambiguous.

Likes 1 person

1. What is an OCV for a H2O2 fuel cell?

An OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) for a H2O2 fuel cell refers to the voltage produced by the cell when there is no external load connected to it. It is a measure of the potential difference between the anode and cathode of the fuel cell and is a critical parameter for evaluating the performance of the cell.

2. How is the OCV determined for a H2O2 fuel cell?

The OCV for a H2O2 fuel cell can be determined by measuring the voltage across the cell when there is no load connected to it. This can be done using a voltmeter or multimeter. It is important to ensure that the cell has been fully charged before measuring the OCV.

3. Why is the OCV important for a H2O2 fuel cell?

The OCV is an important parameter for a H2O2 fuel cell as it gives an indication of the maximum potential difference or energy that can be obtained from the cell. It is also used to calculate the fuel cell's efficiency and power output. A higher OCV indicates a more efficient and powerful fuel cell.

4. How does the OCV affect the performance of a H2O2 fuel cell?

The OCV has a direct impact on the performance of a H2O2 fuel cell. A higher OCV means that the cell has a greater potential difference, which results in a higher power output. It also indicates that the cell is operating at a higher efficiency, meaning that more of the chemical energy from the fuel is being converted into electrical energy.

5. Can the OCV of a H2O2 fuel cell change?

Yes, the OCV of a H2O2 fuel cell can change depending on various factors such as the fuel concentration, temperature, and cell design. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain the fuel cell to ensure that the OCV remains at an optimal level for maximum performance.