Needing to calculate kDa for Hyaluronic acid

• Thread starter Tarn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
The numbers you provided (1.14M, .34g/cm3, 18.8 dl/g) are not enough to calculate kDa without any further context or information. In summary, without more information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the kDa from the given values in the fact sheet.
Tarn
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template and showing your work.
I know very little about chemistry so not sure if this is possible. I am wanting to find out the kDa from the values given in the fact sheet ( I'm not sure exactly what it can be calculated from but these are the values from the fact sheet )
molecular weight 1.14M
bulk density .34g/cm3
limiting viscosity 18.8 dl/g
Just wondering if anyone can calculate the kDa for me as I've spent the last 2 hours trying to work out how to do it but I'm lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
kDa stands for kilodalton. It's a unit of molecular weight. More precisely, 1 dalton = 1g/mol, and 1 kDa = 1000 Da.

kDa is measure of molecular weight. One hydrogen atom mass == 1 Da. Proteins and other macromolecule molecular weights are usually measured in 1000 Da or kDa.

Hyaluronic acid is a polymer: (C14H21NO11)n where n can be a large number. So you have 1.14M, I'm taking that to mean 1.14 million. So divide 1.14 million by 1000 to get kDa. Answer is ~= 1140 kDa.

Edit -- TeethWhitener beat me to it.

Thanks for your help. I'm still a bit lost as I have low molecular weight Hyaluronic so it shouldn't be over 1000. But I'm leaning towards M meaning Molar mass which is what it seems to represent which is often measured in g/mol but standard measurement is kg/mol. So if it is 1.14 kg/mol and 1 kDa is equal to 1g/mol then I'm thinking it's 114 kDa which is considered to be in the low range so perfect. If the 1.14 is measured in g/mol then it would be 1.14 kDa which is too low. I've read so much I've gone cross eyed ( the reason I want to know is because kDa under 50 can increase inflammation rather than help it )...I'm hoping I'm on the right track!

Where are you getting these numbers from? Is it possible to link to the document or upload a picture?

Related to Needing to calculate kDa for Hyaluronic acid

1. What is kDa and why is it important for Hyaluronic acid?

kDa (kilodalton) is a unit of measurement used to describe the molecular weight of a molecule. It is important for Hyaluronic acid because it helps determine the size and structure of the molecule, which can affect its function and properties.

2. How do I calculate the kDa for Hyaluronic acid?

To calculate the kDa for Hyaluronic acid, you will need to know the number of amino acids in the molecule and their corresponding molecular weights. Multiply the number of amino acids by their molecular weights and then divide the result by 1000 to get the kDa value.

3. Can the kDa value for Hyaluronic acid vary?

Yes, the kDa value for Hyaluronic acid can vary depending on the source and manufacturing process. It can also vary for different forms of Hyaluronic acid, such as low molecular weight and high molecular weight.

4. What is the difference between kDa and molecular weight?

KDa is a unit of measurement specifically used for macromolecules, while molecular weight is a general term for the weight of any molecule. The molecular weight of Hyaluronic acid can be described in different units, such as daltons or grams per mole, while the kDa value is always expressed in kilodaltons.

5. Why is it important to know the kDa for Hyaluronic acid in research and medical applications?

Knowing the kDa value for Hyaluronic acid is important in research and medical applications because it helps determine the potency and effectiveness of the molecule. It can also provide valuable information for dosing and administration of Hyaluronic acid in medical treatments.