Negative Mass: Can it Exist?

In summary, the article talked about a physical phenomenon that does not exist and is not covered by any physical laws.
snoopies622
Yesterday I wrote a simple computer simulation for a spring which, when released, sends two masses flying in opposite directions, and views the event from two different reference frames. My goal was just to convince myself that relativistic mechanics is self-consistent and indeed every time I changed the parameters, both momentum and energy were conserved in both reference frames.

But without realizing it at first, the program allowed for cases where the spring sent the masses flying away so fast that the spring itself was left with negative rest mass. But even in these cases, the results were consistent - both momentum and energy were conserved in both reference frames. The spring had negative mass (and negative energy), and its momentum was negative too, meaning (I guess) it was positive but in the opposite direction from which the spring was moving.

My question is: Does this have any physical meaning? Is there a modern theory or theories in which a particle gives off more energy than it has, and is left with negative mass, negative energy, carrying negative momentum, and so on?

Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
Does this have any physical meaning?

No. The fact that the math happens to work out in the particular case you considered does not make it physically meaningful.

As far as I'm aware, there are no physical laws that expressly forbid the existence of negative mass-energy. But, we've never observed it, and it's properties would be pretty weird. We have no reason right now to suspect such a thing actually does or could exist, but maybe we'll be surprised in the future.

Arkalius said:
As far as I'm aware, there are no physical laws that expressly forbid the existence of negative mass-energy.

This is not correct if by "negative mass-energy" you mean what the OP described:

snoopies622 said:
a particle gives off more energy than it has

This is indeed forbidden by physical laws.

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/negativeenergy/negativeenergy.html
Arkalius said:
As far as I'm aware, there are no physical laws that expressly forbid the existence of negative mass-energy. But, we've never observed it, and it's properties would be pretty weird. We have no reason right now to suspect such a thing actually does or could exist, but maybe we'll be surprised in the future.
Actually, I recall reading an article in Scientific American many years ago that was about negative energy, and I believe it included a reference to actual observations. I don’t know if it’s at all related to the results from the OP, but I will try to find the article again, and post a link, if it doesn’t present any copyright infringement. Properties I recall include the claims that negative energy would have negative mass, be gravitationally repulsive, and could only be present in a system containing a greater quantity of positive energy. The example I recall was taking an em wave with a trough value close to zero, and then compressing the wave so that the peek would be higher, and the trough would pass below zero.

The article spoke about warp drive and worm holes and all manner of fanciful whimsy.

EDIT TO ADD: Was able to find the link (that article was from 2000!), but couldn’t get it to add on to the end of the post. So, that’s it up at the top.

Last edited:
LURCH said:
I recall reading an article in Scientific American many years ago that was about negative energy

"Negative energy" is a very misleading description of what that article is talking about. A better description would be "stress-energy that violates the weak energy condition". And it still meets the condition I described in post #4: you can't get something to give off more energy than it has. So it does not qualify as "negative energy" by the definition the OP is using.

Also, Scientific American, despite its name, is not a scientific journal; articles in it are pop science articles for lay people. So they aren't really good sources for PF discussion.

1. What exactly is negative mass?

Negative mass is a hypothetical concept in physics where the mass of an object is less than zero. This means that the object would have a negative gravitational pull, repelling other objects instead of attracting them.

2. Is negative mass possible or has it been observed?

Currently, negative mass has not been observed in nature and it is still a purely theoretical concept. However, some scientists have been able to create negative mass particles in laboratory conditions using special properties of certain materials.

3. How could negative mass affect our understanding of physics?

If negative mass were to exist, it could potentially challenge our current understanding of Newton's Laws of Motion and the Theory of General Relativity. It could also have implications for concepts such as gravity, inertia, and energy.

4. What are some proposed applications of negative mass?

Some researchers have suggested that negative mass could be used to create new forms of propulsion, as the repulsive force of negative mass could potentially push a spacecraft forward. It could also have applications in materials science and quantum computing.

5. Are there any drawbacks or limitations to negative mass?

There are still many unknowns and potential challenges surrounding the concept of negative mass, including how it would interact with other forms of matter and energy. It is also important to note that negative mass is purely theoretical at this point and would require further research and experimentation to fully understand its properties and potential limitations.