Net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge

In summary, Assuming that the cold reservoir at temperature ##T_r## is not huge, the heat engine dumps heat into the cold reservoir and the fridge removes it so that the cold reservoir maintains a steady temperature.
baseballfan_ny
Homework Statement
The efficiency of a heat engine is to be improved by lowering the temperature of its low temperature reservoir to a value ##T_r##, below the environmental temperature ##T_l## by means of a refrigerator. The refrigerator consumes part of the work produced by the heat engine. Assume that both the heat engine and the refrigerator operate reversibly. Calculate the ratio of the net (available) work to the heat ##Q_h## supplied by the heat equation at temperature ##T_h##. Is it possible to obtain a higher net conversion energy efficiency this way?
Relevant Equations
$$ S_{in} = \frac { Q_{in} } { T_{in} } = S_{out} = \frac { Q_{out} } { T_{out} } $$
$$W_{engine} = Q_{in} - Q_{out}$$
$$W_{fridge} = Q_{out} - Q_{in}$$
Here is a diagram of my interpretation of the problem:

pf-engine cascade diagram_1.jpg

Where I'm thinking that the engine originally takes heat from ##T_h## to ##T_l##, in which case ## \frac { Q_{h} } { T_{h} } = \frac { Q_{l} } { T_{l} } ## and ## W_{out} = Q_{in} - Q_{out} = Q_h \left( 1 - \frac {T_l} {T_h} \right) ##.

Then I suppose that because ##T_l## is cooled to ##T_r##, I get ## W_{out} = Q_h \left( 1 - \frac {T_r} {T_h} \right) ##.

The fridge itself consumes a certain amount of work ## W_r = Q_{out, fridge} - Q_{in, fridge} ##. And because ## \frac { Q_{in, fridge} } { T_{r} } = \frac { Q_{out, fridge} } { T_{l} } ## so I can write ##W_r = Q_{in, fridge} \left( \frac {T_l} {T_r} - 1 \right) ##.

And now just trying to get $$ \frac {W^{available} } {Q_h} = \frac {W_{out} - W_r } {Q_h} = \frac { Q_h \left(1 - \frac {T_r} {T_h} \right) - Q_{in, fridge} \left( \frac {T_l} {T_r} - 1 \right) } {Q_h}$$.

But my problem is that I don't know what ##Q_{in, fridge}## is. An optimistic guess I have is that ##Q_{in, fridge} = Q_l ## by sort of applying energy conservation to the reservoir the same way we did to the engines and fridges to get the work delivered or work consumed, but I'm not sure that works that easily in the case of a reservoir? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, your work looks good to me. And I also interpret the problem as implying that we should assume ##Q_{in, fridge} = Q_l##. That way, whatever heat is dumped into the cold reservoir at temperature ##T_r## by the heat engine is removed from the cold reservoir by the fridge and dumped into the environment. So, the cold reservoir can maintain a steady temperature even if the cold reservoir is not huge. Also, the assumption that ##Q_{in, fridge} = Q_l## leads to an interesting result for ##\large \frac{W^{available}}{Q_h}##.

Likes baseballfan_ny

1. What is the net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge?

The net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge is the ratio of the work output of the combined system to the total energy input. It takes into account the efficiency of both the Carnot engine and the fridge, and is typically lower than the efficiency of a single Carnot engine.

2. How does the net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge compare to a single Carnot engine?

The net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge is lower than the efficiency of a single Carnot engine, as some energy is lost in the transfer between the two systems. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that some energy will always be lost in the form of heat.

3. What factors affect the net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge?

The net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge is affected by several factors, including the efficiency of the individual components, the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, and any losses due to friction or other inefficiencies in the system.

4. Can the net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge be improved?

Yes, the net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge can be improved by increasing the efficiency of the individual components, reducing losses due to friction, and optimizing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs. However, it will never reach 100% efficiency due to the second law of thermodynamics.

5. How is the net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge calculated?

The net efficiency of a cascaded Carnot Engine and Fridge is calculated by taking the ratio of the work output to the total energy input. This can be expressed as (W/Qin), where W is the work output and Qin is the total energy input. It can also be calculated using the first and second law of thermodynamics.