Net Electric field and electric net force

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a 12U physics question. They are solving a question involving net electric fields and are confused about the correct method to use. The student has received conflicting answers and is unsure about the correct approach. They provide some equations and information about the question, and the expert notes that the answer should be the net force divided by the charge, pointing in the same direction as the force vector. The expert also agrees that the given answer doesn't make sense. The student thanks the expert for their confirmation.
lonlyway

Homework Statement

well, I'm solving one question from 12U physics, and my answer don't match with others.

the question is at attached file. I do not know how to put it in here

Fex = 1.35, Fey = 1.35, and Fnet = 1.91 (45°)
this one make sense, however on next one, which is

"What is the net electric field acting on charge 1"

I think using equation, Fe = qε, and q is 3 x 10-5,
both εx and εy should be 1.35/(3 x 10-5)

however the answer that I've match with this says

Fex = εx and the marker says it is correct.

how does people think I should solve this?

Homework Equations

Fe = kq1q2/r2 = qε

ε=kq/r2

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
think using equation, Fe = qε, and q is 3 x 10-5,
both εx and εy should be 1.35/(3 x 10-5)
Charge 1, on your attachment, is 20μC .
Thus the net electric field should be the net force (1.91N) divided by 2x10-5.
Since the charge is positive, the field vector points the same way as the force.

Fex = εx and the marker says it is correct.
Doesn't make sense to me either.

Simon Bridge said:
Charge 1, on your attachment, is 20μC .
Thus the net electric field should be the net force (1.91N) divided by 2x10-5.
Since the charge is positive, the field vector points the same way as the force.

Doesn't make sense to me either.

Thanks for the conformation

Related to Net Electric field and electric net force

What is the difference between electric net force and net electric field?

The electric net force is the overall force on a charged object due to the presence of multiple electric charges. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the magnitude and direction of each individual force. The net electric field, on the other hand, is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric field at a particular point in space. It is a vector quantity that is determined by the collective influence of all nearby charges.

How do you calculate the net electric field?

The net electric field at a particular point is calculated by summing the individual electric fields from each nearby charge. The magnitude of the electric field from a point charge is given by the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source. The direction of the net electric field is determined by the vector sum of the individual electric fields.

What factors affect the strength of the net electric field?

The strength of the net electric field is affected by the magnitude and distance of the charges present. The closer the charges are to each other, the stronger the net electric field will be. Additionally, the net electric field is also influenced by the type of material between the charges, as different materials have different levels of conductivity.

Can the net electric field be zero?

Yes, the net electric field can be zero if the individual electric fields from different charges cancel each other out. This can occur when there are equal and opposite charges present, or when the charges are arranged in a symmetrical manner.

How does the net electric field impact the motion of charged particles?

The net electric field exerts a force on any charged particles in its vicinity. If the net electric field is non-zero, the charged particles will experience a net electric force and will accelerate in the direction of the field. The magnitude and direction of the acceleration will depend on the charge and mass of the particle, as well as the strength and direction of the net electric field.