Net Ionic Lab Question (the lab procedure)

In summary, this net ionic lab asks you to put six solutions in wells, and then test how they react. It is unclear to the author what you are supposed to do with the solutions once you have put them in the wells, and it is also unclear what the purpose of the two grids is.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-28_11-39-53.png

upload_2018-2-28_11-40-12.png

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kinda confused on the instructions of this net ionic lab. For this lab, I am suppose to find out how several solutions (6 of them) react with each other to form precipitates.

We use some systematic way to test these by putting them in a 24 plate well. But, i am confused because if how they want me to put the drops of 'reagents' in each well.

For instance it says, reagent 1: all walls in column 1 and row A. Doesn't this mean that i only put the drops of reagent 1 in ONE well? Since column 1 and row A is just 1 well?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-28_11-39-39.png
    upload_2018-2-28_11-39-39.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,237
  • upload_2018-2-28_11-39-53.png
    upload_2018-2-28_11-39-53.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • upload_2018-2-28_11-40-12.png
    upload_2018-2-28_11-40-12.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,284
Physics news on Phys.org
No, all wells in column 1 and all wells in row A. Otherwise whole experiment doesn't make sense.

Likes lc99
I assume it means "all wells in column 1 and all wells in row A", i.e. all wells that are in either column 1 or row A (or both). Otherwise you won't get any mixing.

Beat me to it!

Likes lc99
Borek said:
No, all wells in column 1 and all wells in row A. Otherwise whole experiment doesn't make sense.
So I do all the drops for all the wells before observing the precipitates and taking down notes? Right? Cause, the order of the droppings wouldn't make sense if i was trying to observed and record the precipitates

Also, in the second image.. it is unclear on what i am mixing .. It says A1,B1 for reagent 1. What exactly am i mixing reagent 1 with then?

What does it say for reagents 5 and 6?

mjc123 said:
What does it say for reagents 5 and 6?
Well. It does mix them together but I am not picturing how this is testing the solutions again or the point of this

See note to no. 12. I suggest you draw a plan of the two grids and note what you put in each well. You should find you test each combination twice.

1. What is the purpose of a net ionic equation?

The purpose of a net ionic equation in this lab is to show the chemical reaction that occurs between two solutions and identify the ions that are involved in the reaction. It eliminates any spectator ions that do not participate in the reaction.

2. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, you first need to identify the reactants and products of the chemical reaction. Then, write the balanced molecular equation by showing the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side. Finally, cross out any spectator ions that appear on both sides of the equation to get the net ionic equation.

3. What is the purpose of adding a precipitating agent?

The purpose of adding a precipitating agent in this lab is to cause a chemical reaction between the two solutions, resulting in the formation of a solid precipitate. This allows us to observe the net ionic equation and determine the ions that are involved in the reaction.

4. How do you determine the identity of the precipitate formed?

To determine the identity of the precipitate formed, you can use solubility rules to predict which ions will form a solid precipitate when mixed together. You can also perform a simple test, such as a flame test or a pH test, to confirm the identity of the precipitate.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this lab?

Potential sources of error in this lab include human error in measuring and mixing the solutions, contamination of the solutions, and incomplete reactions. It is important to carefully follow the lab procedure and handle the solutions with caution to minimize any potential errors.