Net traction force on a pulley

In summary, the tension in the rope is 58.8 Newtons. The boot is pulling straight out, so the net traction force is zero.
tiffany09
1. Homework Statement
pg14733.jpg

Can you see the picture?
"An accident victim with a broken leg is being placed in traction. The patient wears a special boot with a pulley attached to the sole. The foot and boot together have a mass of 4 kg, and the octor has decided to hang a 6 kg mass from the rope. The boot is held suspended by the ropes and does not touch the bed.

a) Determine the amount of tension in the rope by using Newton's laws to analyze the hanging mass.
b) The net traction force needs to pull straight out on the leg. What is the proper angle (theta) for the upper rope?
c. what is the net traction force pulling on the leg?
hint: if the pulleys are frictionless, which we will assume, the tension in the rope is constant from one end to the other"

2. Homework Equations
F= ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution
The 6kg hanging mass is pulling on the rope with 58.8 N right? but then how does the pulley and angles affect everything? the answer to A is 58.8 N right? Is that tension the same in all parts of the rope? That's what the hint is telling us right?
For b and c, i don't even understand what it's asking. What's a net traction force?
so since we know the tension of the string is 58.8 N, that means that the hypotenuse to the triangle with the 15 degree angle is 58.8 too right? The hypotenuse being the length of rope between the two pullies?

From that can we say the lengths of the sides of that triangle is 58.8sin15 (15.219) and 58.8cos15(65.796)? but then what do you do with that information? I still don't get b & c

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in almost everything, except the fact that the 58.8 doesn't represent the length of the string, it represents the magnitude of the tension force acting through the rope.

The next step would be to analyse the forcing acting on the boot, resolving them into their vertical and horizontal components.

I too am working on this problem and can't get past part A.

I have no clue what to do on the angle part.

I know the Fnet(y) should be zero since the boot is pulling straight out, but I can't get any further than that...
I also imagine somehow that i will find acceleration along the x-axis, then because the system is in equilibrium (the leg will not move), I will use acceleration and the mass of the boot to find the net traction force.

Can someone lend a hand?

Last edited:
Anyone get any further/solve this problem?

Working on it now, and am pretty stuck trying to figure out parts b and c.

any help would be appreciated

jdm08151 said:
Anyone get any further/solve this problem?

Working on it now, and am pretty stuck trying to figure out parts b and c.

any help would be appreciated

shameless bump? anybody get any further on this?

Write out the vertical components of the tension in both ropes. You have to use the angles. What should be the resultant of these components to overcome the weight of the boot?

ehild

Related to Net traction force on a pulley

1. What is net traction force on a pulley?

The net traction force on a pulley is the difference between the force applied to the pulley and the resistance force acting against it. This force is responsible for the movement and efficiency of the pulley system.

2. How is net traction force calculated?

Net traction force can be calculated by subtracting the resistance force from the applied force. This can be represented by the formula Fnet = Fapplied - Fresistance.

3. What factors affect net traction force?

The net traction force on a pulley can be affected by several factors, including the number of pulleys in the system, the angle of the rope or cable, and the type of material used for the pulley and rope. Friction and weight of the load can also impact the net traction force.

4. How does net traction force affect the efficiency of a pulley system?

The net traction force plays a crucial role in the efficiency of a pulley system. A higher net traction force means that more of the applied force is being used to move the load, resulting in a more efficient system. Lower net traction force can lead to slippage and decreased efficiency.

5. How can net traction force be increased?

To increase the net traction force, you can increase the applied force or decrease the resistance force. This can be achieved by using a larger or more efficient pulley system, reducing friction between the pulley and the rope, or using stronger materials for the pulley and rope.