Nets (Unfoldings) of Platonic Solids

• MHB
  • Thread starter Evgeny.Makarov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solids
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of constructing nets for Platonic solids, specifically the icosahedron and dodecahedron. One possible approach is to use the dual graph and find a spanning tree, which can then be used to create the net. However, the correct ordering of child vertices is crucial in constructing a valid net. The speaker also expressed interest in an algorithm that can determine if a given ordered tree corresponds to a net for a specific polyhedron.
Evgeny.Makarov
Gold Member
MHB
I was asked to help with a problem of constructing nets (unfoldings) of Platonic solids. This is supposed to be a high school research project.

In my opinion, the problem is not well-defined. There are only five Platonic solids, and their nets are well-known. So I am trying first to come up with some problem statement. One possible question is to come up with one's own net since, for example, there are 43380 nets for dodecahedron. Another is to devise an algorithm that, given a picture that looks like a net, to determine whether it is indeed a net of a Platonic solid. There may be something to prove about the connection between, say, the spanning tree of a graph of a polyhedron or its dual graph with a net of that polyhedron.

Has anyone encountered a high-school level problem related to nets of Platonic solids that is more mathematical in nature than cutting the net from a piece of paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coming up with a new net, not found on the Internet or in a book, is not completely trivial. Suppose we want to build a regular icosahedron (a polyhedron with 20 triangular faces). Once we prove its existence, it is clear that its net consists of triangles connected by edges. Therefore such net is determined by a graph, actually, a tree, whose vertices represent triangular faces and edges connect (vertices representing) triangles that have a common edge. This is the definition of a dual graph. Thus, to build a net we must take the skeleton of the icosahedron (its vertices and edges), take its dual graph and find its spanning tree.

It turns out that the dual graph of an icosahedron is a dodecahedron. For a plane embedding of the dodecahedron graph I took its Schlegel diagram, i.e., a perspective projection viewed from a point outside of the polyhedron, above the center of a facet. Then I used depth-first search to find a spanning tree. The Schlegel diagram of a dodecahedron and its spanning tree are shown below.

The tree can also be represented as follows.

The tree leads to the following net.

However, to draw this net the spanning three must be an ordered tree, i.e., it should be known whether every child is a left or a a right one. Similarly, when constructing a dodecahedron (each face is a regular pentagon), whose dual graph is an icosahedron where the degree of each vertex is 5, each child must have a number from 1 to 4. In a dodecahedron's net, we can assign 0 to the edge that faces the root of the spanning tree, and we can enumerate edges clockwise. Then each face connected with the given face must have a number saying which edge is common between the two faces.

In the net above, the neighbors of face 1 are 2, 3 and 4, in clockwise order. This is also the case in the spanning tree and Schlegel_diagram. If in the spanning we put vertex 4 above 1 and between 2 and 3 and construct the net accordingly, it won't fold into an icosahedron. So how can I be sure that the Schlegel diagram correctly lists the order of child vertices? Is it possible to take a different plane embedding of the dual graph where the order is wrong?

Also I would be interested in an algorithm that, given an ordered tree, says whether it corresponds to a net of a given polyhedron.

Attachments

• graph1.png
    graph1.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 51
  • graph2.png
    graph2.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 45
  • graph3.png
    graph3.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 45
  • graph4.png
    graph4.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 50

1. What are nets of Platonic solids?

Nets of Platonic solids are flat, two-dimensional shapes that can be folded into three-dimensional polyhedrons. They represent the unfolded version of a Platonic solid, such as a cube, tetrahedron, or dodecahedron.

2. What is the purpose of using nets of Platonic solids?

Nets of Platonic solids are useful in understanding the three-dimensional structure of these shapes, as well as for creating physical models or diagrams. They also aid in visualizing the relationships between the faces, edges, and vertices of the solid.

3. How are nets of Platonic solids created?

Nets of Platonic solids can be created by taking the three-dimensional shape and unfolding it along its edges and faces. This results in a flat, connected shape with tabs that can be folded to recreate the original solid.

4. Are there different types of nets for each Platonic solid?

Yes, there are multiple possible nets for each Platonic solid. For example, there are 11 different nets for a cube and 43 for a dodecahedron. Some of these nets may look very different from each other, but they all have the same number of faces, edges, and vertices.

5. Can nets of Platonic solids be used in real-life applications?

Yes, nets of Platonic solids have practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and design. They can be used to create physical models or prototypes, plan the layout of structures, or even in packaging and paper folding projects.