Neutrino/anti-neutrino interactions on video

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether there are any videos on the internet showing neutrino interactions in neutrino detectors. It is noted that most interactions are spaced out over time and there are currently no videos available. It is also mentioned that the sun does not send a "beam" of neutrinos and the closest representation is a "neutrino photo" taken by the Super-Kamiokande collaboration. The conversation then shifts to discussing the shape of the pixels in the photo and it is explained that this is due to the angular resolution of the detector, which varies depending on the direction and movement of the sun. In conclusion, the conversation highlights the limitations and complexities of studying neutrinos and their interactions.
David Berger
Has anybody seen any neutrino interactions on video on the Internet where you can see the interactions that have taken place in a neutrino detectors?

I know that the interactions in most neutrino detectors is spaced out over time (that come from the same location), but it seems to me that over a month to several months the computer generated interactions being tracked should look quite spectacular and leave "definite" tracks and trails going in all directions with more than 500 nuclear power plants on Earth.

It seems like to me that there should be a tremendous beam piercing through the neutrino detector showing where the Sun is. As a matter of fact, it should look like the Sun has sliced open the neutrino detector in halves since the Earth rotates, whereas nuclear power plants detected would look like spears of light shafts.

Anybody seen such a video?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you cannot make such a video.

In addition, the Sun does not send a "beam" of neutrinos through the detector. It radiates neutrinos isotropically in all directions. The same holds true for nuclear reactors.

The closest you can get is the "neutrino photo" of the Sun taken by the Super-Kamiokande collaboration:
sun.jpg

Attachments

• sun.jpg
    sun.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 458
Likes vanhees71, berkeman and David Berger
David Berger said:
Has anybody seen any neutrino interactions on video on the Internet where you can see the interactions that have taken place in a neutrino detectors?

I know that the interactions in most neutrino detectors is spaced out over time (that come from the same location), but it seems to me that over a month to several months the computer generated interactions being tracked should look quite spectacular and leave "definite" tracks and trails going in all directions with more than 500 nuclear power plants on Earth.

It seems like to me that there should be a tremendous beam piercing through the neutrino detector showing where the Sun is. As a matter of fact, it should look like the Sun has sliced open the neutrino detector in halves since the Earth rotates, whereas nuclear power plants detected would look like spears of light shafts.

Anybody seen such a video?

What exactly do you mean by "... seen any neutrino interactions..."? Is this like asking has anyone seen an electron?

We detect neutrinos via its interaction with matter, which usually produces an ejection of a relativistic electron. This electron THEN produces a Cerenkov radiation if it is traveling in a medium such as water. It is this radiation that we detect.

So, knowing this, do you want to reformulate your question?

Zz.

Likes David Berger and Orodruin
Thanks Orodrium, I really like the photo that was taken. No wonder why I haven't seen any computer generated videos of the interactions of neutrinos on the Internet.

and, Thanks ZapperZ

Now... can anyone tell me why... if you look at the photo, you will definitely see that the blue pixels aren't completely equally round going around the center mass, meaning that there are more of them across the photo than there is going up and down in the photo. You can see this happening in the red pixels also, but you might have to use a scale (ruler) to make sure your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. I'd think that the different colors should be equally concentric around the center mass. I've noticed this many times before. The question is why is there a flattening?

You are clearly overinterpreting what you see. Most of the spread here is actually due to the angular resolution of the detector.

Likes vanhees71 and David Berger
...and this angular resolution depends on the direction as well. In some directions the resolution can be better than in others as the detector is not spherical.

Likes vanhees71 and David Berger
mfb said:
In some directions the resolution can be better than in others

And the sun is moving, so it is seen by different parts of the detector with different resolutions over time.

Likes David Berger
Vanadium 50 said:
And the sun is moving, so it is seen by different parts of the detector with different resolutions over time.
I always considered it to be the detector that is rotating. To each their preferred frame I guess. :smile:

Likes David Berger, vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
If it's good enough for Aristotle, it's good enough for me!

Likes Nugatory, CalcNerd, David Berger and 1 other person
Well, to say it carefully, Aristotelian physics is somewhat outdated, given what happened for the last ~400 years of modern natural sciences.

Likes David Berger
<foghorn leghorn>It's a joke son, I say it's a joke. </foghorn leghorn>

1. What is a neutrino/anti-neutrino interaction?

A neutrino/anti-neutrino interaction refers to the process of a neutrino and an anti-neutrino colliding with each other and producing new particles as a result.

2. How can neutrinos and anti-neutrinos be detected on video?

Neutrinos and anti-neutrinos are notoriously difficult to detect due to their extremely weak interactions with matter. However, specialized detectors, such as the Super-Kamiokande detector, use large tanks of water and sensitive cameras to capture the faint light emitted when a neutrino or anti-neutrino interacts with the water molecules.

3. Why are neutrino/anti-neutrino interactions important in particle physics?

Neutrino/anti-neutrino interactions provide valuable information about the fundamental properties of these elusive particles. By studying these interactions, scientists can learn more about the nature of matter, the structure of the universe, and the fundamental forces that govern our world.

4. Can neutrino/anti-neutrino interactions be used for practical applications?

Currently, neutrino/anti-neutrino interactions are primarily used for research purposes in particle physics. However, there is ongoing research into potential practical applications, such as using neutrinos to study the interior of the Earth or using anti-neutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors.

5. How do neutrino/anti-neutrino interactions differ from other particle interactions?

Neutrino/anti-neutrino interactions are unique because they involve particles with very small masses and no electric charge. This makes their interactions with matter different from other particles, leading to distinct properties and behaviors that are of interest to scientists.