How Does the T2K Experiment Detect Neutrino Oscillations?

In summary: This allows to measure the (anti)neutrino rate from the beam specifically.In summary, the T2K experiment fires a beam of high-energy (anti)neutrinos from J-PARC and detects them at the Super-Kamiokande detector 295 km away. The beam is produced by accelerating protons into a target, which produces pions that decay into muons and (anti)neutrinos. The Super-Kamiokande detector is positioned underground to reduce interference from other particles, and the high energy and direction of the neutrinos can differentiate them from other sources.
verve825
I am completely unschooled here, so go a bit easy, if you would.

My question(s) involves the actual mechanics of the T2K neutrino/antineutrino experiment that was written up here on Aug. 8.

I have a hard time understanding the process described here:

"To explore the (anti)neutrino flavour changes, known as osciallations, the T2K experiment fires a beam of (anti)neutrinos from the J-PARC laboratory at Tokai Village on the eastern coast of Japan.

It then detects them at the Super-Kamiokande detector, 295 km away in the mountains of the north-western part of the country. Here, the scientists look to see if the (anti)neutrinos at the end of the beam matched those emitted at the start."

1. How is the beam of (anti)neutrinos physically fired?

2. How does the detector differentiate the "fired" (anti)neutrinos from regular(?) (anti)neutrinos?

With thanks,

JeffRead more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-08-evidence-mounts-neutrinos-key-universe.html#jCp

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't exactly know how are doing that, but in my opinion "firing (anti)neutrinos" is simply achievable just by putting some beta decaying radioactive material in the other side.
Beta decaying radioactive material decay by emitting an electron or a positron, and an electron neutrino or an electron antineutrino, depending on which isotope they are.
For example, the Na22 isotope decays by emitting a positron and an electron neutrino. And Sr90 decays by emitting an electron and an electron antineutrino.

Neutrinos, by nature, oscillate into other flavours by time. In one end you fire electron neutrinos or antineutrinos, in the detector you count the number of electron, muon and tau neutrinos coming from the lab.

Again, I don't really know how the detector works, but;
The Super-Kamiokande detector is positioned deep under earth, so that other particles (cosmic radiation etc.) don't interfere with the experiment. In my opinion, the high energetic neutrinos coming from the space are more reactive than the low energy neutrinos, and can maybe be blocked by the Earth's surface. And most of the low energy neutrinos just pass through the whole earth, so that not many of them are detected in the detector.
On the other hand, the detector might help us differentiate between the experiment neutrinos and the cosmic neutrinos by comparing their kinetical energies and coming directions.

verve825 said:
How is the beam of (anti)neutrinos physically fired?
A Google search for "j-parc neutrino beam" led me to this page:

https://j-parc.jp/Neutrino/en/nu-facility.html

The mechanism described there is basically the same as the one Fermilab used when I participated in a (anti)neutrino experiment 35-40 years ago as a graduate student.

1. Fire a beam of high-energy protons into a target, which produces a lot of particles, mostly pions.
2. Use a magnetic field to select positive or negative pions and focus them so they're going more or less in the same direction. (the "horns" indicated on the diagram)
3. The pions decay into muons plus neutrinos (or antineutrinos, depending on whether the pions/muons are positive or negative)
4. Put something in the beam (a "beam dump") to absorb the muons and let the neutrinos or antineutrinos pass through.

Likes vanhees71 and Garlic
Many thanks to both of you for your responses- I appreciate your help.
Jeff

Likes Garlic
Garlic said:
I don't exactly know how are doing that, but in my opinion "firing (anti)neutrinos" is simply achievable just by putting some beta decaying radioactive material in the other side.
That would not give a beam, the neutrino production rate would be completely negligible, and the neutrinos would be too low-energetic to distinguish them from other sources. The beam is produced via accelerators, as jtbell explained.
Garlic said:
The Super-Kamiokande detector is positioned deep under earth, so that other particles (cosmic radiation etc.) don't interfere with the experiment. In my opinion, the high energetic neutrinos coming from the space are more reactive than the low energy neutrinos, and can maybe be blocked by the Earth's surface. And most of the low energy neutrinos just pass through the whole earth, so that not many of them are detected in the detector.
Earth does not provide any relevant shielding against neutrinos. The detectors are underground to reduce the flux of other particles, in particular muons produced in the collisions of cosmic rays with our atmosphere - the rate of muons goes down significantly if you go underground.

The neutrinos from Tokai have a higher energy than most other neutrinos, they all come from the same direction. Both together allow to distinguish between those and neutrinos from other sources.
In addition, the accelerator does not run 24/7, while it is shut down you can count the neutrino rate to estimate the background from other sources, and subtract it from the rate measured while the accelerator is running.

Likes jtbell, vanhees71 and Garlic

1. What is a neutrino experiment?

A neutrino experiment is a scientific study that aims to understand the properties and behavior of neutrinos, which are tiny, electrically neutral particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and cosmic events.

2. Why are neutrino experiments important?

Neutrino experiments are important for several reasons. First, they can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as the Standard Model. Second, they can help us understand the inner workings of stars and other celestial bodies. Third, they can potentially lead to new technologies, such as neutrino detectors for remote sensing and communication.

3. How do neutrino experiments work?

Neutrino experiments typically involve creating a controlled environment where neutrinos can be produced, such as a nuclear reactor or particle accelerator. Then, detectors are placed around the source to capture and measure the properties of the neutrinos. Different experimental setups and techniques are used depending on the specific research goals.

4. What have we learned from neutrino experiments so far?

Neutrino experiments have revealed important information about the nature of neutrinos, including their mass and oscillation patterns. They have also confirmed the existence of different types of neutrinos, such as electron, muon, and tau neutrinos. Additionally, neutrino experiments have provided insights into the behavior of neutrinos in extreme environments, such as the core of a supernova.

5. What are the future prospects for neutrino experiments?

There are several upcoming neutrino experiments that have the potential to greatly advance our understanding of these elusive particles. For example, the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) in the US and the Hyper-Kamiokande experiment in Japan will study neutrino oscillations and look for evidence of new physics beyond the Standard Model. There are also plans to build even larger and more sensitive neutrino detectors in the future.