Neutrino masses and sterile neutrinos

In summary, the conversation discusses constraints on the masses of three flavored neutrinos and the possibility of a fourth sterile neutrino with a mass of approximately 50 GeV. It is noted that the mass of the fourth neutrino would be distinguishable and therefore there would be no oscillations. The conversation also mentions the concept of an invariant related to mass mixing, such as the Jarlskog invariant.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am wondering... And I may be wrong but please correct me...
In general we have some constraints on the masses of the 3 flavored neutrinos [itex] m_{\nu_e}, m_{\nu_\mu} , m_{\nu_\tau}[/itex] and so there must be some constrain on the values of the 3 neutrino masses [itex]m_1, m_2, m_3[/itex]. Am I right?
Also the probability of flavor change is oscillating with distance with a frequency that's proportional to [itex]\Delta m_{ij}^2 [/itex] (i,j in [1,3] ).
My question is what happens if there is a 4th sterile neutrino, of the acceptable mass of [itex]m_\nu \sim 50~\text{GeV}[/itex] ?
I'd think then that the additional [itex]m_4[/itex] that we would have to introduce would have to be very large as well (so that its combination with [itex]m_i[/itex] is large)...and finally [itex]\frac{\Delta m _{4i}^2}{E} \approx \frac{m_4^2}{E} = \frac{2500 ~\text{GeV}^2}{5 \cdot 10^{-3}~\text{GeV}} = 5 \cdot 10^5~\text{GeV}[/itex]
Is this right so long? I'd guess then that a reasonable distance for oscillation to occur would be at approximately [itex]L \sim 10^{-21} m[/itex]?
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2011/reviews/rpp2011-rev-neutrino-mixing.pdf
(used 13.15 together with 13.12)

Likes arivero
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
In general we have some constraints on the masses of the 3 flavored neutrinos mνe,mνμ,mντmνe,mνμ,mντ m_{\nu_e}, m_{\nu_\mu} , m_{\nu_\tau} and so there must be some constrain on the values of the 3 neutrino masses m1,m2,m3m1,m2,m3m_1, m_2, m_3. Am I right?

No, the flavour states do not have definite masses, the definite masses are properties of the mass eigenstates. If you want to talk about effective masses of flavour eigenstates there are several different combination of the mass eigenstate masses which are relevant in different applications.

What is constrained better is the mass squared differences, the absolute scale is still quite unknown.

ChrisVer said:
My question is what happens if there is a 4th sterile neutrino, of the acceptable mass of mν∼50 GeVmν∼50 GeVm_\nu \sim 50~\text{GeV} ?
A neutrino of that mass would be kinematically distinguishable from the light neutrinos. It would therefore quickly decohere and there would be no oscillations.

Orodruin said:
No, the flavour states do not have definite masses, the definite masses are properties of the mass eigenstates. If you want to talk about effective masses of flavour eigenstates there are several different combination of the mass eigenstate masses which are relevant in different applications.

Hmm is there some invariant independent of the different combinations? Trace of the mass matrix, for instance?

arivero said:
Hmm is there some invariant independent of the different combinations? Trace of the mass matrix, for instance?
The trace is just the sum of the masses. You would need to find a setting where this is relevant to make it an observable. The most interesting invariant with regards to mixing is probably the Jarlskog invariant which measures the degree of CP violation.

1. What are neutrino masses and why are they important?

Neutrino masses refer to the mass of the subatomic particles called neutrinos. These particles were originally thought to be massless, but recent experiments have shown that they do have a tiny mass. Studying neutrino masses is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How do we measure neutrino masses?

Neutrino masses are measured using a variety of methods, including particle collider experiments, observations of nuclear reactions in stars, and studies of the cosmic microwave background radiation. These measurements are challenging due to the extremely small mass of neutrinos and their elusive nature.

3. What are sterile neutrinos?

Sterile neutrinos are hypothetical particles that do not interact with matter through the weak nuclear force like regular neutrinos do. They are called "sterile" because they do not participate in any known interactions except through gravity. The existence of sterile neutrinos is still being studied and could have important implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. How do sterile neutrinos relate to neutrino masses?

Sterile neutrinos are one of the possible explanations for the small but non-zero masses of neutrinos. The presence of sterile neutrinos could provide a mechanism for generating neutrino masses through a process called "neutrino oscillation". However, more research is needed to confirm the existence of sterile neutrinos and their role in neutrino mass generation.

5. What are the implications of discovering sterile neutrinos?

If sterile neutrinos are confirmed to exist, it would have significant implications for our understanding of particle physics and the universe. It could also help to explain other phenomena, such as the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe and the origin of dark matter. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the role of sterile neutrinos in the universe.