Neutrinos carry away momentum, is it lost forever

In summary, the neutrino was first predicted in 1931 to explain violations of conservation laws in nuclear reactions. Neutrinos rarely interact with matter, making it difficult for their energy and momentum to affect "normal" matter again. While they may have some effect on the universe, it is mostly gone forever and any remaining gravitational effects are believed to be very small.
bobsmith76
This is from my text:

The existence of the neutrino was first predicted in 1931 by Wolfgang Pauli, when certain nuclear reactions appeared to be violating the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. Rather than modify or discard the law, Pauli suggested that an unseen, chargeless and probably massless particle was carrying away some of the energy and momentum

My question is will this energy and momentum ever affect "normal" matter again? (normal matter being the stuff you and I are made of. It looks like neutrinos rarely interact with matter, so is this energy forever trapped in the neutrinos, never to effect matter again?

Physics news on Phys.org
They certainly effected the matter of the Opera detector at Gran Sasso laboratory.

Yea, but that observatory seems to be set up to observe very rare and extraneous situations. It doesn't seem to relate to the "real" world.

If by 'real' world you mean the universe, I'd say that it's a part of it.

Neutrino momentum is a conserved quantity, according to QED. They rarely interact, but, that merely delays the inevitable.

From a practical perspective I think it is fair to say it is mostly gone forever, yes. I would expect most neutrinos will escape the visible universe before they interact with anything again, seeing as how it takes a few light years of lead to have a high chance of stopping one. I haven't checked any calculations though.

There could also be some gravitational effects which might affect things on the large scale, but I think even those are understood to be very small these days.

Related to Neutrinos carry away momentum, is it lost forever

1. How do neutrinos carry away momentum?

Neutrinos carry away momentum due to their small mass and high speed. As they move through space, they interact with other particles, transferring some of their momentum to them.

2. Is the momentum carried away by neutrinos lost forever?

No, the momentum carried away by neutrinos is not lost forever. While it may not be directly observable, it is conserved and can be accounted for in calculations and equations.

3. How does the momentum carried by neutrinos affect other particles?

The momentum carried by neutrinos can affect other particles by transferring some of its energy and causing them to move in different directions. This interaction can be seen in processes such as beta decay.

4. Are there any practical applications of understanding neutrino momentum?

Yes, understanding neutrino momentum is important in various fields such as astrophysics and particle physics. It can also have practical applications in technologies such as nuclear reactors and medical imaging.

5. Can the momentum carried by neutrinos be measured?

Yes, the momentum carried by neutrinos can be indirectly measured through various experiments and calculations. However, direct measurement is still a challenge due to the small mass and elusive nature of neutrinos.