Neutron scattered from Hydrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the laboratory velocities of a scattered neutron and a recoiling proton when a neutron is scattered from hydrogen. It is shown that if the collision is assumed to be elastic, the angle between the velocities is always 90°. However, if the collision is not elastic, the angle is not necessarily 90° as new particles may be produced or the original particles may become something else. This possibility is explored in regards to the quark composition of the neutron and proton.
dRic2
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that when a neutron is scattered from hydrogen, the angle between the laboratory velocities of the scattered neutron and the recoiling proton is always 90°.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
(Conservation of Energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't a difficult exercise if the collision is assumed to be elastic. In that case straight classical mechanics equations lead to the result. But is this kind of collision always elastic? I mean a neutron hits a proton... It should be elastic after all if you do not go into sub-nuclear physics... If the collision were not to be considered elastic, could I still show the thesis ? I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure...

Thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
If the collision is not elastic it is not true any more - but then you produce new particles or the proton or neutron become something else and asking for the angle becomes meaningless.

Likes dRic2
As I thought, thanks for confirming.

Anyway I know nothing about "sub"-nuclear physics, but I recall that a neutron and a proton are made of quarks. Is it possible that some of the energy of the collision is lost to "excite" a quark above its ground state? (I don't even know if quarks have energy states so... This is just for fun). If such a thing is possible then I would still have the same two particles, but an inelastic scattering may occur.

If you excite one of the particles it is an inelastic process and you get different hadrons. They have different names, although that is just a convention. PDG has a list (not a full list, these are just hadrons with up and down quarks only).

Likes dRic2
Good to know. Thank you! :)

1. What is the process of neutron scattering from hydrogen?

The process of neutron scattering from hydrogen involves a neutron colliding with a hydrogen atom, causing it to scatter in a different direction. This scattering occurs due to the interaction between the neutron's magnetic moment and the hydrogen atom's magnetic dipole moment.

2. Why is neutron scattering from hydrogen important in scientific research?

Neutron scattering from hydrogen is important in scientific research because it allows us to study the structure and dynamics of materials at the atomic level. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science.

3. How is neutron scattering from hydrogen different from other types of scattering?

Neutron scattering from hydrogen is unique because neutrons have no electric charge, allowing them to penetrate deep into materials and interact with the nuclei of atoms. This makes it a powerful tool for studying the internal structure of materials.

4. What information can be obtained from studying neutron scattering from hydrogen?

Studying neutron scattering from hydrogen can provide valuable information about the positions and movements of hydrogen atoms within a material. This can help scientists understand the properties and behavior of materials, such as their conductivity, magnetism, and diffusion rates.

5. How is neutron scattering from hydrogen used in practical applications?

Neutron scattering from hydrogen is used in a variety of practical applications, including the development of new materials for energy production, pharmaceuticals, and electronics. It is also used in the study of biological molecules and structures, such as proteins and DNA.