Neutrons Falling on a Detector

In summary, a collection of neutrons, initially at rest, are confined in a region 1.0 nm wide on the x-axis at a height of 50 cm above a neutron detector. Upon release, the neutrons fall under the influence of gravity towards the detector which records the horizontal position of the hits. The problem can be approached using the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, with a Δx of 0.5 nm, resulting in a width of 3.233 μm for the region of the detector that gets hit by neutrons.
Pickled_Gorilla

Homework Statement

A collection of neutrons, nominally at rest, are confined in a region 1.0 nm wide on the x-axis at a height of 50 cm above a neutron detector. The neutrons are released and fall under the influence of gravity towards the detector which records the horizontal position of the hits. Estimate the width of the region of the detector that gets hit by neutrons.

Homework Equations

(1) E0 neutron = 939.57 MeV
(2) E = p2/2m
(3) p = h/λ
(4) a sin(θ) = mλ, a is slit width (1 nm)
(5) y= Dmλ/a, y is distance on detector, D is distance to detector from slit (50 cm), and a is slit width (1 nm)

The Attempt at a Solution

I treated this problem as a single slit diffraction problem.
Since the neutrons are initially at rest, their energy is E0.
Using (2) to find p, and then (3) to solve for λ gives 9.331 * 10-16m.

Setting sin(θ) = 1 to find the maximal minima, (4) becomes m = a/λ, and solving for m gives 1.07*106.
Plugging into (5) gives 0.5 meters, and since this is the distance in one half of the picture, the number is doubled for the total area. Thus the total area on the detector hit by neutrons is 1 meter.

Am I approaching this problem correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pickled_Gorilla said:
I treated this problem as a single slit diffraction problem.
Not sure whether that is valid. It sounds more a circular hole than a parallel-sided slit.
Pickled_Gorilla said:
Setting sin(θ) = 1 to find the maximal minima
I'm sure that is not valid. That will only be a minimum if a/λ is an integer, and anyway the distance to it would be infinite.
Your eqn (5) is an approximation for small θ.
Taking the first minimum would seem more reasonable.

I talked to my professor, It is actually a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle problem. Δx is 0.5 nm, then you can solve for the Δp. use E = mgh to solve for the ΔE in the time related H.U.P. and then use the velocity from Δp multiplied by the time to get displacement. Finally double the displacement to get total width. I ended up getting 3.233 μm.

Pickled_Gorilla said:
I talked to my professor, It is actually a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle problem. Δx is 0.5 nm, then you can solve for the Δp. use E = mgh to solve for the ΔE in the time related H.U.P. and then use the velocity from Δp multiplied by the time to get displacement. Finally double the displacement to get total width. I ended up getting 3.233 μm.
Ah, of course; that crucial adjective:
Pickled_Gorilla said:
nominally at rest
For what it is worth, if I use your original method but my approach of first minimum I get 1μm.
But since the HUP method involves descent time, which rises as the square root of the distance, the similarity of the answers must be coincidence.

Last edited:

1. What is a neutron and how does it interact with a detector?

A neutron is a subatomic particle that has no electrical charge and is present in the nucleus of an atom. When neutrons fall onto a detector, they can interact with the detector material through a process called scattering. This means that the neutron can collide with the atoms in the detector material, causing it to lose some of its energy and change direction.

2. How do we measure the number of neutrons falling on a detector?

The number of neutrons falling on a detector can be measured using a variety of techniques. One common method is to use a scintillation detector, which can detect the flashes of light that are produced when neutrons interact with the detector material. Another method is to use a gas-filled detector, which can measure the electrical signals produced by the ionization of gas molecules when neutrons pass through.

3. What factors can affect the detection of neutrons?

The detection of neutrons can be affected by several factors, including the energy of the neutrons, the type of detector material used, and the distance between the neutron source and the detector. Additionally, the design and construction of the detector can also play a role in its sensitivity to neutrons.

4. Can neutrons be detected without a detector?

Neutrons can be detected without a detector, but it is not a practical or reliable method. Neutron detectors are specifically designed to measure the interactions between neutrons and the detector material, making them much more sensitive and accurate than other methods. Additionally, using a detector allows for the measurement of the number and energy of neutrons, which is crucial in many scientific and industrial applications.

5. How are neutron detectors used in scientific research?

Neutron detectors have a wide range of applications in scientific research, such as in nuclear physics, materials science, and medical imaging. They are used to study the properties of neutrons, including their energy, spin, and behavior in different materials. Neutron detectors are also used to measure the neutron flux in nuclear reactors, which is essential for understanding and controlling nuclear reactions.