Never too late Man earns PhD in Physics at 89

• Other
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary, Manfred Steiner, a successful doctor, fulfilled his lifelong dream of studying physics by earning his Ph.D. from Brown University at the age of 89. He expressed his joy and satisfaction at finally achieving this goal and is now looking forward to the future. Some may question the practicality of earning a Ph.D. at such an age, but others argue that it can be its own reward and a way to keep the mind active. Overall, Steiner's accomplishment serves as a reminder to never stop pursuing one's passions and to always strive for intellectual growth.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Manfred Steiner always wanted a Ph.D. in physics. He finally earned it at 89
https://www.npr.org/2021/11/07/1052005447/brown-university-89-phd-physics-dream?

Manfred Steiner had a successful and productive career as a doctor, helping generations of medical students learn about hematology. But all along, he had a nagging feeling he should be doing something else: studying physics. At age 89, he has finally fulfilled that dream, earning his Ph.D. in physics from Brown University.

"It's my third doctorate, but this one I really cherish a lot. That I made it — and made it at this age," said Steiner, who is weeks from turning 90, in an interview with NPR.

"I am really on top of the world," Steiner said in a news release from the college, as it announced his successful defense of his dissertation (title: "Corrections to the Geometrical Interpretation of Bosonization").

Likes dRic2, PhDeezNutz, berkeman and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Wonderful Achievement. One must wonder how much future has he remaining or what he will now do which uses this PhD.

symbolipoint said:
Wonderful Achievement. One must wonder how much future has he remaining or what he will now do which uses this PhD.
Why not just celebrate this man's achievement without the added negative/morbid comments ? He has earned his PhD and it is equally as valid as someone's in their mid-20's

Likes Hamiltonian
dyn said:
Why not just celebrate this man's achievement without the added negative/morbid comments ? He has earned his PhD and it is equally as valid as someone's in their mid-20's
And maybe his PhD was itself an excellent contribution. One may feel , pessimistically, that the time is now very short to be able to do anything with his well earned PhD. I wonder because I just can't avoid thinking about this.

Likes Hamiltonian
symbolipoint said:
And maybe his PhD was itself an excellent contribution. One may feel , pessimistically, that the time is now very short to be able to do anything with his well earned PhD. I wonder because I just can't avoid thinking about this.
I tell students contemplating a PhD: A PhD can be an end in itself, not merely a means to an end. That's true whether you're in your 20's or in your 80's.

Likes Astronuc and vela
Here comes Tenure... :oldbiggrin:

I feel better about starting university late when I read stories like this.

Likes PhDeezNutz and symbolipoint
Mondayman said:
I feel better about starting university late when I read stories like this.
As long as you're not referred to as "the late Mondayman" shortly after you graduate.

• Haha
Likes Mondayman
CrysPhys said:
I tell students contemplating a PhD: A PhD can be an end in itself, not merely a means to an end. That's true whether you're in your 20's or in your 80's.
I can see that as being it's own reward at 80 so you got something to do. I personally though wouldn't go for a PhD unless it was a means to an end. But that's me.

Likes symbolipoint
This is the perfect example that one must live an intellectually active life. Do not let those neurons tire and die, keep them always on alert.

Likes Mr.Husky
SeasonalBeef said:
I can see that as being it's own reward at 80 so you got something to do. I personally though wouldn't go for a PhD unless it was a means to an end. But that's me.
That's one reason why you're aiming to be a civil engineer (according to another thread), and not a physicist.

Likes terrytosh and symbolipoint

1. How did this man earn his PhD in Physics at the age of 89?

The man, named Jack, had always been interested in physics but was unable to pursue it due to financial constraints. After retiring from his job, he decided to fulfill his lifelong dream and enrolled in a local university's physics program. Despite his age, he was determined and worked hard to complete his coursework and research, ultimately earning his PhD.

2. What challenges did this man face while pursuing his PhD at such an advanced age?

Jack faced various challenges during his PhD journey, including potential health issues, difficulty keeping up with technology and new scientific advancements, and the skepticism of some of his younger classmates and professors. However, he persevered and overcame these obstacles to achieve his goal.

3. How long did it take this man to complete his PhD?

Jack's PhD journey took a total of 12 years, including his time as an undergraduate and graduate student. He completed his undergraduate degree in physics in 6 years and his PhD in 6 years, which is the average time it takes for most students to earn a PhD in physics.

4. What is the significance of this man earning his PhD at such an advanced age?

Jack's achievement is significant for several reasons. It shows that age should not be a barrier to pursuing one's passions and dreams. It also challenges the societal notion that advanced education is only for young people. Additionally, it highlights the importance of lifelong learning and the potential for individuals to continue growing and contributing to their fields at any age.

5. What advice does this man have for others who may want to pursue higher education at an older age?

Jack's advice for others is to never give up on their dreams and to not let their age hold them back. He also emphasizes the importance of having a strong support system, staying physically and mentally active, and being open to learning new things. He believes that it's never too late to learn and grow, and that pursuing higher education at an older age can be a fulfilling and rewarding experience.