New Car Smell & OnStar: Our Experience with a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Smell
In summary, the new car has more amenities than the old car, but the navigation system is frustrating because it won't stop nagging the driver.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now, if I can just get the thing to shut up... :uhh:

Yesterday after work, my wife and I picked up our new car, a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic. Its predecessor was 13 years old, also bought new, so shopping for a replacement gave us a bit of "culture shock." Even though we chose the lowest-priced trim line, with no "options" besides air conditioning (not really an "option" in the Southeast US) and automatic transmission, we have more amenities than before, most notably the OnStar navigation / emergency notification system. We get it free for six months, then we get to decide whether to pay for a subscription.

The dealer walked us through setting up our OnStar account, which involved talking with a representative while sitting in the car, using the car's microphone. Then we went back into the office to finish the paperwork.

When we came out, I got into the new car and my wife got into her car for the trip home. OnStar's navigation assumed I was going home (apparently because this was its first trip), and started giving directions both audibly and on a display screen. This worked out OK at first. Then we made a short detour to a grocery store, OnStar started to nag me about going off route, and I wasn't about to try to figure out which buttons to push while driving! After we got our groceries, we got back on route, OnStar shut up, and thereafter gave directions that agreed with our normal route home.

The first thing I looked up in the manual after we got home was how to turn the navigation off and on. Since we normally walk to work, I may not get to try the car again until Saturday.

We live in a small town, and after 25+ years here we're pretty familiar with it and the parts of the nearby "big cities" that we visit regularly. When we go on a long road trip, we usually choose "creative" routes for variety and scenery. So we've never bought a GPS, and we probably won't use the OnStar navigation enough to make it worth paying for it. But for a few months it will be an interesting toy.

My wife's car is even older than the Sonic's predecessor, so we'll probably be replacing it soon, too. We'll use our experience with the Sonic to help us decide what to look for.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just had a thought that might prove lucrative to you. While I have no personal experience with it, the TV ads suggest that OnStar has quite an alluring voice.
Maybe you could wire yours into a cell and start a phone-sex business. It would keep the thing out of your hair and get you a few bucks on the side. :approve:

That voice does sound rather "nice." :smile: Actually, thinking about this episode during lunch today, I "flashed back" to the old TV series My Mother the Car. I don't remember what Gladys sounded like, though.

Ah, yes...
That was right up there with all of the favourites of the 1960's intelligentsia—Mr. Ed, Dobie Gillis, My Favorite Martian...

As part of the purchasing deal of my car, I get a few years of OnStar for free (which is standard with my model of car). I don't get out enough or take take enough long trips to take advantage of the navigation, but it is pretty darn cool when I do. I'll probably keep up the subscription after the free trial though for these reasons:

There is an Android app that goes with OnStar (and my model of car) called RemoteLink.

With it I can check my car's battery's charge (my car has a rather large battery compared to most cars),

wMBqyWb3MY1mHnM-e3KZB8SN_RT64nVg8PzSFVqNd0b0d9B5j4kRMDO3WQLreolFCEo3.jpg

Check the amount of gas in the car,

p6EVGfH_NJcDegrsmLAOtIu8w5gejNQNP5dhdHmrc6rx3NSt5PuWS-H6xnsN5CMzjWM.jpg

Tire pressure,

JmUPDXOUrk_q2QkRIl3nmQHTNIAs9BbN0BVmTKV_db-TMHFSMQosv53tMl3pZlAOcf9c.jpg

And I can even control my car remotely (there is a passcode for this, so I don't need to worry about somebody else controlling my car if they take my phone).

lUc86SaO3umZyTuPhaHsZCpDF53dO768Xa-819G3l3bSqYnMubgz9Jq-kP3z2o6_LBDl.jpg

And when I do use the navigation system, I can choose the location on a map with the convenience of the cell phone. This is really nice if somebody else is telling you where the destination is: no need to write down the address and type it in later when you get to your car. You can just do it then and there.

O3Gw6F7wffhPNDSvBoj3N2F8zzCOyysZsig3a8dOANG_zV1MyYP5A3TA3QkCpmfwVDY.jpg

And then automatically send the destination to the car's navigation system.

BDoMfF3JCrRiUnjFyjOPcghy7dwGkBMeLj9AJnFVCVoztRP3MvBBSQEJ8ck4-VnHGoQ.jpg

Having an OnStar account is also necessary if you want to be a part of VoltStats.net. http://www.voltstats.net/

Last edited:
What I don't get is what does the car need you for?

Borek said:
What I don't get is what does the car need you for?

Gas.

Danger said:
Gas.

Actually it barely even needs me for that. Since I drove off the dealership lot in early November 2011 (about a year and a half ago) I've only put two gallons (7 1/2 litres) of gas (petrol) in it. Not bad for driving ~7000 miles (~11000 km).

But nevermind about that. I'm getting off topic. Sorry.

jtbell said:
Its predecessor was 13 years old, also bought new,

a thirteen year old , one owner, adult driven car ? In my part of the world that is everybody's dream to find. What is it and where did you trade it in?

I recently bought a 1968 Ford pickup truck from the ninety-something original owner. Doesn't smell new anymore but still has original upholstery, and headlamps with Ford logo..

We're doing our part - "It's not restored,, it's Recycled".

old jim

jim hardy said:
a thirteen year old , one owner, adult driven car ? In my part of the world that is everybody's dream to find. What is it and where did you trade it in?

It was a 2000 Chevrolet Prizm (basically an Americanized Toyota Corolla) with 176K miles. It still ran fine, in fact my wife and I were planning to drive to Arizona in it next month. That would have been its sixth trip to AZ, in addition to about a dozen trips to FL, and several up the East Coast and to the Midwest. It had visited 40 of the "lower 48" states, excepting only the far western and northern fringe: CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, ND, SD.

Unfortunately, it was totaled in a wreck a few weeks ago. :frown: Fortunately the airbag did its job, I got out unassisted, and I ended up with only a very sore ribcage for a few days. I can still feel it a bit when I cough or sneeze.

jtbell said:
...Fortunately the airbag did its job, I got out unassisted, and I ended up with only a very sore ribcage for a few days. I can still feel it a bit when I cough or sneeze.

sorry for that misfortune, but glad you're okay !

It was a 2000 Chevrolet Prizm (basically an Americanized Toyota Corolla) with 176K miles. It still ran fine,...
A neighbor has one slightly older with 425Kmiles... that was a good drivetrain.

Fair Anne and I have kids scattered from Key West to Anchorage so we too do a fair amount of cross country , largely on the "Blue Highways"..

Well, thanks for sharing and good luck with the new car !

collinsmark said:
I've only put two gallons (7 1/2 litres) of gas (petrol) in it. Not bad for driving ~7000 miles (~11000 km).

:bugeye:

Both of my vehicles burn more than that to get out of the driveway.

jtbell said:
I ended up with only a very sore ribcage for a few days. I can still feel it a bit when I cough or sneeze.

I don't know whether or not anyone else has stumbled across this, so I'll pass it on to you and anyone else with a similar ailment. I developed it after my first hernia surgery, and it came in very handy after the 2nd and the time when I had 2 ribs pulled off of my sternum.
If you feel a cough or sneeze impending, clutch a stiff pillow to the affected area and squeeze it into yourself as hard as you can. It alleviates probably 1/2 of the pain by preventing your parts from flopping around inside.

What causes the "New Car Smell" in a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic?

The "New Car Smell" in a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic is caused by the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the materials used in the car's interior, such as plastics, adhesives, and leather. These VOCs can also be found in other products like furniture and cleaning supplies.

Is the "New Car Smell" harmful to your health?

The "New Car Smell" can be harmful to your health if you are exposed to it for a prolonged period of time. The VOCs released can cause headaches, dizziness, and irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat. It is recommended to ventilate the car by opening windows or using the air conditioning to reduce exposure.

How long does the "New Car Smell" last?

The duration of the "New Car Smell" varies depending on factors such as the materials used in the car's interior, the weather, and how often the car is ventilated. Generally, the smell will start to dissipate after a few weeks and will be completely gone within a few months.

What is OnStar and how does it work?

OnStar is a subscription-based service offered by General Motors in their vehicles. It provides various features such as automatic crash response, roadside assistance, and turn-by-turn navigation. OnStar works through a combination of GPS, cellular technology, and sensors in the car to provide these services.

Can OnStar be hacked?

While there have been instances of cars being hacked, OnStar has implemented multiple security measures to prevent such attacks. These include encryption of data and regular software updates to fix any potential vulnerabilities. It is important to also follow basic cybersecurity practices, such as not sharing personal information over the phone, to further protect your car's security.