New In tube end forming practices -- Can I downsize and then upsize a pipe end?

In summary, new tube end forming practices allow for the downsizing and upsizing of pipe ends. This process involves using specialized tools and techniques to manipulate the dimensions of the pipe end, resulting in a more precise fit for various applications. This technique can be particularly useful in industries such as plumbing and automotive, where pipe sizes may need to be adjusted for specific purposes. By utilizing these innovative practices, manufacturers and technicians can save time and resources while achieving optimal results.
Amol Joshi
In tube end forming practices, is it possible to first reduce the diameter of the pipe (tube 0.9mm thick) and then expand it, at the same end, by about 1mm in total, with a transistion radius of 8mm ?
Please see attached image. Though it might be exaggerated, but the image should suffice.
I want to know the feasibility of it.
Material is Ferritic Steel. Of diameter 55 OD. The sizing is
1: Reducing to 50.6 ID and then
2. Expanding by 1mm diametrically.

Thank You.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes.

Bystander said:
Yes.
Could you please give me some more information or links to resources I can refer.

Thank You.

1. Can I downsize and then upsize a pipe end?

Yes, it is possible to downsize and then upsize a pipe end using new in tube end forming practices. This technique is often used in industries such as automotive and aerospace to create custom pipe fittings with specific dimensions.

2. What are the benefits of downsizing and then upsizing a pipe end?

There are several benefits to this process, including improved strength and durability of the pipe end, better sealing capabilities, and the ability to create custom fittings with precise dimensions. It can also help save time and reduce waste by eliminating the need for multiple fittings.

3. What materials can be used for downsizing and upsizing a pipe end?

Most commonly, this technique is used for metal pipes such as steel, aluminum, and copper. However, it can also be used on plastic pipes, depending on the type and thickness of the material.

4. Is this process suitable for all types of pipe ends?

No, this process is typically only suitable for straight pipe ends. It may not be effective for pipe ends with complex shapes or bends.

5. Are there any limitations to downsizing and upsizing a pipe end?

Yes, there are some limitations to this process. It is important to carefully consider the material and thickness of the pipe being used, as well as the desired dimensions of the end result. It may also be necessary to perform additional finishing processes to achieve the desired shape and smoothness of the end. Consulting with an expert in end forming practices can help determine if this technique is suitable for a specific project.

Back