New Subforum Idea - School Application Portfolios

• Thread starter CanIExplore
  • Start date
In summary, this forum user has an idea for a new category in the "Academic Guidance" section of this forum which he wants to present to the admins and mods. He is currently going through the application process for a master's program in electrical engineering and was thinking of posting his entire process including: how he studied for generalize tests, researching graduate programs and contacting faculty, writing his essays, and which programs he was accepted/denied to. He is also thinking of creating a Blog about this process. If this idea is something that the forum doesn't really think we need, he could post his own process as an individual thread in this general forum.
CanIExplore
New Subforum Idea! - School Application Portfolios

Hello forum!

I have an idea for a new category in the "Academic Guidance" section of this forum which I wanted to present to the admins and mods of this forum. Please let me know what you think!

I am currently going through the application process for a master's program in electrical engineering and was thinking of posting my entire process including: how I studied for generalize tests, researching graduate programs and contacting faculty, writing my essays, and which programs I was accepted/denied to.

I was thinking we could create a subsection under the "Academic Guidance" section where anyone could post their application process to their respective programs. I think something like this would really help those who are thinking of applying to any program. It would also give them extra example essays and also give them an idea of what works and what doesn't.

I know there is a website for M.D. applications in which users can post their application processes but I have never seen anything similar for graduate programs. If this is something that the forum doesn't really think we need, I could post my own process as an individual thread in this general forum if people think it could help them.

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the suggestion! It's very interesting and unique! We generally don't add new sub forums unless there is an immediate demand. So, I would say post your portfolio idea in the AG forum and maybe it catches fire and then we will consider making a sub forum. thanks!

CanIExplore said:
I was thinking of posting my entire process including: how I studied for generalize tests, researching graduate programs and contacting faculty, writing my essays, and which programs I was accepted/denied to.
One of the best way to do this is create your Blog regarding this.

I think it's a great idea, to have a big compilation in one place.

CanIExplore said:
[...] give them extra example essays
Sounds like an open invitation for cheating... :devil:

Similarly related, over at physicsgre.com (I think that's the URL), there is a section for people to post what grad schools they applied to, what their CV looked like (in general), where they were accepted, what the offers were, and which one they took.

Something like that on PF would be really nice.

QuarkCharmer said:
Something like that on PF would be really nice.

The "Building Physics Graduate School Profiles" forum?

CanIExplore said:
I was thinking we could create a subsection under the "Academic Guidance" section where anyone could post their application process to their respective programs.

For the last few years we've had an annual thread for summer REU program applications:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=663192

Start a similar one for grad school applications and see what response it gets.

1. What is a school application portfolio?

A school application portfolio is a collection of academic and personal achievements that students can submit as part of their application to a school or university. It typically includes samples of their best work, such as essays, projects, artwork, and extracurricular activities.

2. Why is a school application portfolio important?

A school application portfolio allows students to showcase their talents and accomplishments beyond traditional academic measures like grades and test scores. It gives admissions committees a more holistic view of the student and can help them stand out among other applicants.

3. Who can benefit from a school application portfolio?

A school application portfolio can benefit students applying to a variety of educational programs, including undergraduate and graduate schools, as well as specialized programs like art or music schools. It can also be helpful for students applying for scholarships.

4. What should be included in a school application portfolio?

A school application portfolio should include a variety of materials that showcase the student's strengths and interests. This can include academic work, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, awards and honors, and personal statements. It is important to carefully select materials that are relevant to the specific school or program being applied to.

5. How can a school application portfolio be submitted?

School application portfolios can be submitted in a variety of formats, depending on the requirements of the school or program. Some may allow physical portfolios to be mailed in, while others may require digital submissions through an online platform. It is important to carefully follow the submission guidelines provided by the school.