New to Here? Start Your Air Force Pilot Dream Here!

In summary: Air Force ROTC is a two-year program that allows you to earn your associate's degree while in the Air Force. The program is sponsored by the universities that the Air Force has agreements with. You can also get a degree in engineering, but that is not required. The Air Force is looking for people with dedication and inventiveness. That's what they want to see during the selection processes.
ph3nom3non03
new to here!

Hi, everyone just a newbie here lol... well anyway, I am leaning towards wanting to become a pilot in the air force but my question is what do i need from step 1 til the end my understanding i need a bachelors to even get into becoming an officer in the military but where can i start and my math skills are low and I am wanting to take classes for everything and I am from iowa so if anybody has any appointed colleges or universitys please let me know, thanks to everyone who helps.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi, ph3nom3non03, welcome to PF!

Many of our members have military experience, and I know we have at least one fighter pilot.

I'm not military but I think a college degree is a requirement to get into a pilot training program. How old are you, and have you talked to a recruiter?

Oh, and in what country do you live?

im 23 and i live in the u.s. but i don't want to talk to a recruiter yet because i want to find info out about all the little details before i get trapped into something totally different.

lisab said:
and I know we have at least one fighter pilot.

Lisa is probably thinking of me, which creates the obligation to say something useful in this thread. So it was 35 years ago when I was recruted in a different air force and I have no idea of the current formal requirements of another air force. But it would seem be far fetched to require a bachelor degree before going to a military academy; academies being the usual place where bachelors are generated.

Now about:
ph3nom3non03 said:
..i want to find info out about all the little details before i get trapped into something totally different.

This generates a few thoughts.

1. No doubt that the smallest details about requirements are on the internet. With some dedication and inventiveness, these details can be found. Air Forces are looking for people with dedication and inventiveness. That's what they want to see during the selection processes.

2. Can 'something totally different' mean: 'all or nothing'? Either pilot or no military carreer? Mind that a substantial part of the forces usually consist of people who wanted to be pilot too but didn't make it somehow during the tough training program. Now if such a person would leave the forces because of that, the investment of the organisation would be lost. Air forces are not too keen on recruting 'all-or-nothing' persons.

Last edited:

First off, you absolutely need to learn how to write correct English. Nobody is going to put you in the pilot's seat of a $100M aircraft if you can't use capital letters. Seriously.

Second, you need a college degree and you need to get one right away. You are already too old for the Air Force academy. You need to be commissioned by about age 28 in order to make it to flight school in time to meet that age cut-off, and as you are 23 now and a bachelor's degree takes 4 years, you don't have much margin. Ideally, you should enroll in AFROTC, get a science or engineering degree, and get as close as possible to a 4.0 GPA. Becoming a pilot is very selective and you want the best possible chances.

Finally, you have to decide if you want to be in the Air Force, or if you want to be a pilot in the Air Force. There is no guarantee that the USAF will select you for your dream job. If you join the USAF and then don't make the cut for your dream job, what then?

Andre said:
But it would seem be far fetched to require a bachelor degree before going to a military academy; academies being the usual place where bachelors are generated.

He's too old for the Air Force Academy.

Thanks for everyones reply, I understand the circumstances and would like to learn to fly either not being in the military or in. But what exactly is AFROTC and engineering degree made up of?

What are the qualifications to become an Air Force pilot?

The basic qualifications to become an Air Force pilot include being a U.S. citizen, having a bachelor's degree, passing the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT) and the Air Force Physical Ability and Stamina Test (PAST), and meeting certain age and physical requirements.

What are the steps to become an Air Force pilot?

The steps to become an Air Force pilot include attending Officer Training School (OTS) or the U.S. Air Force Academy, completing Initial Flight Training (IFT), and then moving on to specialized training for a specific type of aircraft. After that, pilots must complete operational training and begin their active duty service.

What is the training process like for Air Force pilots?

The training process for Air Force pilots is rigorous and demanding. It includes classroom instruction, simulator training, and hands-on flight training. Pilots must also pass various written and practical exams throughout their training. The training process can take anywhere from 1-2 years, depending on the type of aircraft the pilot is training for.

What are the job responsibilities of an Air Force pilot?

As an Air Force pilot, your primary job responsibility is to fly and operate military aircraft. This includes completing missions and tasks assigned by the Air Force, participating in training exercises, and maintaining the readiness of your aircraft. Pilots may also have additional responsibilities, such as supervising and training other pilots or serving as a liaison with other branches of the military.

What is the lifestyle like for Air Force pilots?

The lifestyle for Air Force pilots can vary depending on their specific role and assignments. Pilots may be required to relocate frequently and work long hours, especially during combat deployments. However, they also have access to unique benefits such as housing allowances, healthcare, and retirement plans. Additionally, pilots often have the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures while on assignments.