New to the board. Can I get some guidance on a couple of questions?

In summary, the first problem involves a person looking at a building with an antenna mounted on top. The person's line of sight makes angles of 35.0° and 40.0° with the horizontal. Using trigonometry, we can find the height of the antenna by solving for the height of the base and top of the antenna. The second problem involves two hot air balloons at different heights and a person observing the angle between them. Using trigonometry, we can find the horizontal distance between the two balloons.
lsumatt

Homework Statement

1) The drawing shows a person looking at a building on top of which an antenna is mounted. The horizontal distance between the person's eyes and the building is d = 68.0 m. In part a the person is looking at the base of the antenna, and his line of sight makes an angle of θ1 = 35.0° with the horizontal. In part b the person is looking at the top of the antenna, and his line of sight makes an angle of θ2 = 40.0° with the horizontal. How tall is the antenna?

2) The two hot air balloons in the drawing are 48.2 and h = 56.0 m above the ground. A person in the left balloon observes that the right balloon is θ = 13.4° above the horizontal. What is the horizontal distance x between the two balloons?

Homework Equations

for the first i used cos and the second problem i used tan

The Attempt at a Solution

i got 57.1 km for the fist and 235 m for the second. but it says both are wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
ok i got #2 but still stuck on 1

Let [tex]a[/tex] be the height of the base of the antenna off the ground

Let [tex]b[/tex] be the height of the top of the antenna off the ground

[tex]\tan35^{\circ} = \frac{a}{68.0}[/tex]

[tex]\tan40^{\circ} = \frac{b}{68.0}[/tex]

Now you have to solve for a and b and find [tex]b-a[/tex]

thanks!

Last edited:

Related to New to the board. Can I get some guidance on a couple of questions?

1. What type of questions can I ask on this board?

You can ask any questions related to science, technology, and research. This board is meant for discussing and sharing knowledge on various scientific topics.

2. Can I get help with a specific project or experiment?

Yes, you can ask for guidance on a specific project or experiment. However, please provide as much information as possible so that others can better assist you.

3. Is there a specific format for asking questions on this board?

There is no specific format for asking questions, but it is recommended to provide clear and concise information to help others understand your question better.

4. Can I get feedback on my research or ideas?

Absolutely! This board is a great place to share your research and ideas and get valuable feedback from other scientists and researchers.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines I should follow while using this board?

Yes, please make sure to follow the community guidelines and be respectful towards others when asking and answering questions. Additionally, avoid sharing any confidential or sensitive information on this public forum.