Heat Transfer. Ice and steam in a container (easy)

In summary, the equilibrium temperature is 0°C and the fraction of weights of ice, water, and steam is 2/3, 67%, and 33.3% respectively.
llatosz

Homework Statement

"In a container of negligible mass, equal amounts (in weight) of ice at 0◦C and steam at 100◦C are mixed at the atmospheric pressure. Assuming no heat exchange with the surroundings, what is the temperature when the system reaches equilibrium? What are the fractions of weights of ice, water and steam?"

I know this question has been asked about 100 times but I've been working on it for over an hour and I just can't get it. I was even the best in my class at Physics 1 and 2. This should be especially easy because the initial conditions are at saturation conditions.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Q=mL (Where L is latent heat of phase change)
Q=mCΔT
Lf = 3.34*10^5 J/kg (fusion)
Lv = 2.256*10^6 J/kg (vaporization)
Cwater = 4186 J/kg/K

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I assume 1 kg to make the math fun. mice = msteam = m

Heat absorbed by the ice melting is:
Qmelt = mLf =3.34*10^5 J

Heat released by vapor condensing:
Qcond = mLv = 2.256*10^6 J

If the steam melts all of the ice, the excess energy would be the difference between the two:
2.256*10^6 - 3.34*10^5 = 1.931*10^6 J

And the heat required to get all of the 0°C water up to 100°C is:
Qheat up = mCΔT = 4186 * 100 = 4.186*10^5 J
which is less than the excess steam heat, so the steam should in fact melt all of the ice and turn it to 100°C

Now to find the remaining energy in the steam:
1.931*10^6 - 4.186*10^5 = 1.5124*10^6 JOh wow, while typing this i thought of what to do lol. I will continue in hopes that my line-by-line explanations will help others. Edit: But I do have one question at the end!And the heat required to transform the 100°C hot water to steam would be:
Q=mLv = 2.256*10^6

And since the remaining energy in the steam is not sufficient enough to transform all the 100°C hot water to steam, we will have the original steam, hot water, and some newly created steam.
So my guess is that the ratio of remaining energy to the energy needed to complete a full phase change will be equal to the ratio of the masses that have changed.
So for this example, the percentage of hot water that turns into steam is
1.5124 / 2.256 = 67%

So we started with:
1) 50% ice... 50% steam
2) 50% water... 50% steam
3) 16.5% water... 83.5% steam

This would be mass percentage, right?
Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A tidier presentation might be this ... Energy to melt and raise 1 kg ice to 100C = 3.34 + 4.186 = 0.7526 MJ

How much steam required to condense to produce this energy = 0.7526 / 2.256 = 0.333 Kg

So we have... 0 ice ...1,333 water ...0.666 steam

The question specifically asked " What are the fractions of weights of ice, water and steam?"

So you must present your answer this way 0 ice ...0.666 water ...0.333 steam ...
or 0% ...66.6% ...33.3%
or in this case 'common' fractions would be better 0 ...2/3 ...1/3

Very strange that the answer is almost exactly 0 , 1 and 2 thirds , yes this is mass (or weight if experiment performed under the effects of gravity)...

Last edited:
No.
No water gets evaporated. You want to write a proper energy balance, starting with indeed a mass fraction of the steam condensing. Gets you water at 100 C. That condensing gives you X Joule of energy and you use that to melt all the ice and heat up all the water to 100 C.
[edit] Oz was faster.

1. How does heat transfer occur in a container with ice and steam?

Heat transfer occurs through the process of conduction, where heat energy is transferred from the hot steam to the colder ice particles. This causes the ice particles to gain energy and melt, while the steam particles lose energy and condense into water.

2. What is the role of temperature in heat transfer with ice and steam?

The temperature difference between the ice and steam is what drives the heat transfer process. Heat naturally flows from a higher temperature to a lower temperature, so the hot steam transfers its heat energy to the colder ice particles.

3. How does the container affect the heat transfer process?

The material and shape of the container can affect the rate of heat transfer. For example, a metal container would conduct heat more quickly than a plastic container. The shape of the container can also impact how the hot steam and cold ice particles come into contact with each other, affecting the rate of heat transfer.

4. Can heat transfer occur in a vacuum?

Yes, heat transfer can occur in a vacuum. In fact, a vacuum can actually slow down heat transfer because there are no particles or molecules present to transfer the heat through conduction or convection. However, heat can still be transferred through radiation, which does not require a medium.

5. How is heat transfer related to the phase change of ice and steam?

The heat transfer process between ice and steam causes a phase change, where the ice melts into liquid water and the steam condenses into liquid water. This phase change occurs because the transfer of heat energy causes the particles to gain or lose enough energy to change from one phase to another.