How Do You Calculate Initial Temperature Using Newton's Law of Cooling?

In summary, the object cooled down to 10 degrees Celsius over a period of 180 seconds. The room temperature was also 10 degrees Celsius. Assuming the coefficient in the Newton's Law of cooling to be 0.01[1/sec], determine the original temperature of the substance.
luigihs
A hot object cools down to a temperature of 10 degrees of Celsius during a period of 180 seconds. The room temperature is 10 degrees of Celsius. Assume the coefficient in the Newton's Law of cooling to be 0.01[1/sec]. Determine the original temperature of the substance

2. T(room) + (T(initial) T(room)) e^-kt = T(final)

t room = 10
ti = ?
Tfinal = 10

3. 10 + (Ti -10 ) e^(-0.01)(180) = 10
10 + Ti - 10 + 0.1652 = 10
0.1652 = 10 = 60.53

I think this wrong because its a multiple choice and the choices are 93 and 100

Please help me thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Shouldn't T final be a little above room temperature? Anyway a problem similar to this is done here,

http://ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math100/notes/diffeqs/cool.html

See example 1.

Also you could plug in your possible answers and see if they work, I don't think they will as I think your initial data is off?

:( Sorry I still struggling with the problem, can you please show me how to do ? please!

You wrote,

"10 + (Ti -10 ) e^(-0.01)(180) = 10"

Subtract 10 from both sides and we have,

(Ti -10 ) e^(-0.01)(180) = 0 --> Ti = 10The object did not cool down to room temperature in 180 seconds unless it started at room temperature. I think your facts are wrong. Assume that 100 was the starting temp and work backward to find the final temp, which can't be 10.Tf = 10 + (100 - 10)*exp(-1.8) Tf = 24.9

Tf = 10 + (93 - 10)*exp(-1.8) Tf = 23.7

Good luck!

You might also visit,

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/NewtonsLawOfCooling/

Last edited:
sorry, what is the ambient temperature? I've assignment where the question as follow:

the temperature T of a cooling object drops at a rate proportional to the difference T-S, where S is constant temperature of surrounding medium. If initially T= 100 C, find the temperature of the cooling object at any time. anyone...please help me..

fahanaam, refer to the rules of this forum.

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a physical law that describes the rate at which an object cools down or loses heat when it is in contact with a cooler surrounding environment.

2. Who is credited with discovering Newton's Law of Cooling?

The law is named after Sir Isaac Newton, a renowned physicist and mathematician who first described it in the late 17th century.

3. What factors affect the rate of cooling according to this law?

The rate of cooling is affected by factors such as the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, the surface area of the object, and the type of material the object is made of.

4. How is Newton's Law of Cooling useful in everyday life?

This law is useful in various applications such as food preservation, air conditioning, and weather forecasting. It helps us understand the cooling process and make predictions about the rate of temperature change.

5. Is Newton's Law of Cooling applicable to all objects?

No, this law is best suited for objects with a large surface area and a small temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. It may not accurately describe the cooling process for objects with complex shapes or in extreme temperature conditions.