Newtonian gravitation as a vector

In summary: Then it would be 1/(x^2+y^2), and it would not be to the 1.5th...You are working with a vector field calculator to try and calculate the vector field for Newtonian gravitation. You plug in the equation for Newtonian gravitation and it does not produce the same result as when you plugged in random values for m and M. What do you think you may have gotten wrong?
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi guys! So I am a little congused about Newtonian gravitation. I understand the equation to get a scalar for the strength of gravity, but when I plugged it into a vector field calculator (with random values of m and M), all the vectors only pointed in one way. I do understand that r-hat could be positive 1 or negative 1 depending where m and M are, but still, the arrows can only go in 2 directions. I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I am a little confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is your question ?

The vector equation for Newtonian gravitation reads:
[tex] \vec{F}_1 = \frac{G m_1 m_2}{|\vec{r}_{12}|^3} \vec{r}_{12} [/tex]

That is, the force on particle one (in a system of 1 and 2) is directed along the vector connecting it to the second particle ([itex] \vec{r}_{12} [/itex]). Given that, what exactly don't you understand?

Nabeshin said:
The vector equation for Newtonian gravitation reads:
[tex] \vec{F}_1 = \frac{G m_1 m_2}{|\vec{r}_{12}|^3} \vec{r}_{12} [/tex]

That is, the force on particle one (in a system of 1 and 2) is directed along the vector connecting it to the second particle ([itex] \vec{r}_{12} [/itex]). Given that, what exactly don't you understand?
So what would that be in the form of F(x,y,z)= F(x)i+F(y)j+F(z)k (or however you write it) using any random values of m and M. I am actually only 13 and I have only self tought myself some calculus (and I have watched videos), so I may be missing something in my math, but don't you need that kind of equation to get vector (x,y,z)?

Isaac0427 said:
So what would that be in the form of F(x,y,z)= F(x)i+F(y)j+F(z)k (or however you write it) using any random values of m and M. I am actually only 13 and I have only self tought myself some calculus (and I have watched videos), so I may be missing something in my math, but don't you need that kind of equation to get vector (x,y,z)?

The vector in my equation [itex] \vec{r}_{12} = ( x_2 - x_1 , y_2 - y_1, z_2 - z_1 ) [/itex] written out in component form. Similarly the vector [itex] \vec{F} = (F_x,F_y, F_z ) [/itex]. Each component of the left hand side and right hand side are equal, which gives you your three equations. Does that make sense? Can you see how you might write that out in terms of your seemingly preferred i,j,k notation?

Nabeshin said:
The vector in my equation [itex] \vec{r}_{12} = ( x_2 - x_1 , y_2 - y_1, z_2 - z_1 ) [/itex] written out in component form. Similarly the vector [itex] \vec{F} = (F_x,F_y, F_z ) [/itex]. Each component of the left hand side and right hand side are equal, which gives you your three equations. Does that make sense? Can you see how you might write that out in terms of your seemingly preferred i,j,k notation?
I do understand that, however as I pug it into a vector field calculator the vector for the point which m is at does not necessarily point towards M (0,0,0).

Isaac0427 said:
I do understand that, however as I pug it into a vector field calculator the vector for the point which m is at does not necessarily point towards M (0,0,0).
What exactly is a "vector field calculator" and what exactly are you pugging into it?

jbriggs444 said:
What exactly is a "vector field calculator" and what exactly are you pugging into it?
I plugged in Newtonian gravitation into an online vector field graphing calculator.

It is easiest to work in 2 dimensions and set ## m_2 ## at (0,0) so that the position vector of m_1 is ## \vec r = (x,y) ## and ## \vec r_{12} = - \vec r ##. You should then be able to get a 2D vector field plot that looks something like this. I'm not sure that helps you much though, or does it?

MrAnchovy said:
It is easiest to work in 2 dimensions and set ## m_2 ## at (0,0) so that the position vector of m_1 is ## \vec r = (x,y) ## and ## \vec r_{12} = - \vec r ##. You should then be able to get a 2D vector field plot that looks something like this. I'm not sure that helps you much though, or does it?
That is what I did, however the equation you used was not Newtonian gravitation. When I plugged in Newtonian gravitation on that site (using random masses) that is not what it looked like.

I think you will find that it was (I assumed ## Gm_1m_2 = 1 ## as all that affects is the scale of the arrows). What do you think I got wrong?

MrAnchovy said:
I think you will find that it was (I assumed ## Gm_1m_2 = 1 ## as all that affects is the scale of the arrows). What do you think I got wrong?
Then it would be 1/(x^2+y^2), and it would not be to the 1.5th power.

Isaac0427 said:

the magnitude of the gravitational force is 1/r^2 = 1/(x^2 + y^2). but the x and y components are
- x/r^3 = -x (x^2 + y^2)^(3/2) and -y/r^3 = -y (x^2 + y^2)^(3/2)

willem2 said:
the magnitude of the gravitational force is 1/r^2 = 1/(x^2 + y^2). but the x and y components are
- x/r^3 = -x (x^2 + y^2)^(3/2) and -y/r^3 = -y (x^2 + y^2)^(3/2)
Could you show me the math behind that? If say GMm was 2 would it be -2x/r^3i-2y/r^3j? I think I see what the rule is for this. One final question: how would the formulas for each axis change in 3 dimensional space?

Isaac0427 said:

No, note that the magnitude of the gravitational force is ## \frac{Gm_1m_2}{\lvert \vec r \rvert ^2} ## and the unit vector of its direction is ## \hat r = \frac{\vec r}{\lvert \vec r \rvert} ##, so we get
Nabeshin said:
[tex] \vec{F}_1 = \frac{G m_1 m_2}{|\vec{r}|^2} \hat{r} = \frac{G m_1 m_2}{|\vec{r}|^3} \vec{r} [/tex]
To get from this to ## Gm_1m_2(x^2 + y^2)^{-3/2} ## you need to know more about working with exponents in expressions like ## x^{-3} ## and ## \sqrt x = x^{(1/2)} ## than I did when I was 13, have you covered this in your studies yet?

MrAnchovy said:
No, note that the magnitude of the gravitational force is ## \frac{Gm_1m_2}{\lvert \vec r \rvert ^2} ## and the unit vector of its direction is ## \hat r = \frac{\vec r}{\lvert \vec r \rvert} ##, so we get

To get from this to ## Gm_1m_2(x^2 + y^2)^{-3/2} ## you need to know more about working with exponents in expressions like ## x^{-3} ## and ## \sqrt x = x^{(1/2)} ## than I did when I was 13, have you covered this in your studies yet?
Yes, I am actually 3 grades ahead in math besides my personal studies, and I was confused because I didn't know about r^3.

Hmmm, I'd like to post a small correction and make the derivation clearer:

$$ \vec{F} = -G \frac{m_1m_2}{|\vec{r}|^2} \hat r = -G \frac{m_1m_2}{|\vec{r}|^2} \frac{\vec r}{\lvert \vec r \rvert} = -G \frac{m_1m_2}{|\vec{r}|^3} \vec{r} $$

Related to Newtonian gravitation as a vector

1. What is Newtonian gravitation as a vector?

Newtonian gravitation as a vector is a mathematical concept that describes the force of gravity between two objects as a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. This concept was developed by Sir Isaac Newton in his famous law of universal gravitation.

2. How does Newtonian gravitation as a vector differ from scalar gravity?

The main difference between Newtonian gravitation as a vector and scalar gravity is the inclusion of direction. Scalar gravity only considers the magnitude of the force, while Newtonian gravitation takes into account the direction of the force as well.

3. How is Newtonian gravitation as a vector calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects can be calculated using the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. This formula takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force.

4. What is the importance of Newtonian gravitation as a vector in physics?

Newtonian gravitation as a vector is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand the force of gravity and its effects on objects. It is used in a wide range of fields, including astronomy, engineering, and space exploration.

5. Are there any limitations to using Newtonian gravitation as a vector?

While Newtonian gravitation as a vector is a useful concept, it has its limitations. It does not accurately describe the behavior of objects at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields, which requires the use of more advanced theories such as Einstein's theory of general relativity.