Newton's 2nd law and Lorentz Force

In summary, the conversation discusses combining the Lorentz force equation and Newton's 2nd law to show that ma.v=qE.v. The steps to solve the problem include performing a simple substitution and multiplying each side by v. It is also mentioned that the cross product of two vectors is always perpendicular to those vectors, which leads to the conclusion that E does no useful work along the path of the particle as it is perpendicular to the direction of motion.
Dvsdvs
ok, the lorentz force equation is F=q(E+v x B) and Newton's 2nd law is F=ma. I need to combine the two to show that ma.v=qE.V
I don't really know what to do first here...
i can see the simple substitution so that ma=qE+q(v x B) but beyond that...do u change the a to dv/dt. Any type of help to get me started will work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dvsdvs said:
i can see the simple substitution so that ma=qE+q(v x B) but beyond that...
Good. Now just multiply each side by v (scalar multiplication, aka dot product).

nice. thank you very much. How do i show that v.(qE+(v x B)=qE.v in other words why is it that v.(V x b)=0. i know this is probably an elementary question but I am not too good at working with vectors.

The cross product of two vectors is always perpendicular to those vectors. So [tex]\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/tex] is perpendicular to v (and to B). What does that tell you about the dot product [tex]\vec{v}\cdot(\vec{v}\times\vec{B})[/tex] (and why)?

oh wooow i feel so stupid really. yeah so dot product = 0 b/c they are perpendicular...Also the overall question for the exercise was to show that if speed is constant. then show that E does now work along the path of the particle.

For this it means that //v(t)// is constant which is to say that
v(t).a=0 by a proposition I proved in a previous prob. Does this mean that
ma.v=0=qE.v?? and if it does this shows that E is perpendicular to v. Being perpendicular to direction of motion, is it sound to say that it does no useful work along path of particle? This is the last part of this whole thing thank you very much for help so far!

Well, if you've shown that v.a = 0, and that v.a is proportional to E.v, then that would mean that E.v = 0 ... that's just simple math ;-)

Dvsdvs said:
For this it means that //v(t)// is constant which is to say that
v(t).a=0 by a proposition I proved in a previous prob. Does this mean that
ma.v=0=qE.v??
Yep.
and if it does this shows that E is perpendicular to v.
Yep.
Being perpendicular to direction of motion, is it sound to say that it does no useful work along path of particle?
Yep again.

Related to Newton's 2nd law and Lorentz Force

1. What is Newton's 2nd law?

Newton's 2nd law, also known as the law of force and acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is Newton's 2nd law related to the Lorentz Force?

Newton's 2nd law is used to explain the relationship between the force and acceleration experienced by a charged particle in an electromagnetic field, known as the Lorentz Force. This force is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz Force?

The Lorentz Force plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It is used to explain phenomena such as the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, the deflection of particles in particle accelerators, and the motion of charged particles in Earth's magnetic field.

4. How does the Lorentz Force affect the motion of charged particles?

The Lorentz Force causes charged particles to experience a force that is perpendicular to both their velocity and the magnetic field. This causes the particles to follow a curved path, known as a helical trajectory, as they move through the field. The magnitude and direction of the force depend on the charge, velocity, and orientation of the particle in the field.

5. Can Newton's 2nd law and the Lorentz Force be applied to all types of charged particles?

Yes, Newton's 2nd law and the Lorentz Force can be applied to all types of charged particles, including electrons, protons, and ions. This is because the equations for these laws are independent of the specific properties of the particle, such as its mass or charge, and can be used to describe the motion of any charged particle in an electromagnetic field.