Newton's 2nd law with oscilations

In summary, the problem involves a car moving to the left with constant acceleration and a ball hanging from the ceiling at an initial angle of 90 degrees until it is released at t=0 and starts to swing. The goal is to find the maximum angle that the ball will reach during its oscillation. By applying the equivalence principle and treating the acceleration of the car as a combination of gravity and a uniform acceleration, we can efficiently solve the problem.
Danielpom

Homework Statement

a car moving to the left with constent accelration. a ball is hanging from the ceiling held in 90 degrees to the ceiling until t=0, then it is realesed and start to swing.

find the max angle.
IMAG1396.jpg

Homework Equations

Newton's second law

The Attempt at a Solution

gSin(α)-mCos(α)=A=R*(α'')

IMAG1398.jpg

more detailed attempt
IMAG1397.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1396.jpg
    IMAG1396.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 596
  • IMAG1397.jpg
    IMAG1397.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 532
  • IMAG1398.jpg
    IMAG1398.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to type out the key steps and your answer. Your attached notes are unreadable.

PeroK said:
You need to type out the key steps and your answer. Your attached notes are unreadable.
thanks, fixed

Danielpom said:

Homework Statement

a car moving to the left with constent accelration. a ball is hanging from the ceiling held in 90 degrees to the ceiling until t=0, then it is realesed and start to swing.

find the max angle.
View attachment 238653

Homework Equations

Newton's second law

The Attempt at a Solution

gSin(α)-mCos(α)=A=R*(α'')

View attachment 238660

more detailed attempt
View attachment 238658
I think you have confused yourself with regard to angles. Please define exactly what your angle α represents. What is its relationship to the given θ?

haruspex said:
I think you have confused yourself with regard to angles. Please define exactly what your angle α represents. What is its relationship to the given θ?
θ is α. just called it by a different name...

Is the right answer supposed to be the one highlighted in yellow?

Danielpom said:
θ is α. just called it by a different name...
That doesn't work. θ Is a given initial angle. You have a differential equation in which α is a variable.
You need to draw a diagram with the string at some intermediate position.

DrClaude said:
Is the right answer supposed to be the one highlighted in yellow?
yes

Danielpom said:
yes
In that case, I would appreciate some clarification about what the question is actually asking, "find the max angle." I suppose that the original is not in English but in Hebrew, but could you provide as close a translation as possible as to what is asked for.

DrClaude said:
In that case, I would appreciate some clarification about what the question is actually asking, "find the max angle." I suppose that the original is not in English but in Hebrew, but could you provide as close a translation as possible as to what is asked for.

It's the maximum angle, not the equilibrium angle.

Likes DrClaude
Danielpom said:
yes

In any case, I suggest a major transformation would be helpful in tackling this problem. Have you ever heard of the equivalence principle?

Likes jbriggs444
PeroK said:
It's the maximum angle, not the equilibrium angle.
I get that you and @haruspex understand the question better than I do! I'll stop asking for clarifications.

PeroK said:
In any case, I suggest a major transformation would be helpful in tackling this problem. Have you ever heard of the equivalence principle?
didn't hear about it, do you have some info about it?

DrClaude said:
the angle θ until the time t=0 is 0 (the object is held in its place), then, at t=0 the object is released and start to oscillate. the acceleration of the car it's all happening at is ' a '. the question is, what will the maximum angle θ be during its oscillation.

Danielpom said:
didn't hear about it, do you have some info about it?
The basic idea of the equivalence principle is that the effect of a gravitational field or of a uniformly accelerating platform are locally indistinguishable. Without looking out the window, there is no way to tell whether you are in an elevator accelerating upward in space or an elevator standing still on the ground floor.

Taking this a step farther, you can add up the effect of gravity plus the effect of a uniform acceleration and treat the vector sum as if it were pure gravity. One can justify this as follows:

1. Pretend that gravity is actually the whole lab experiencing 1 gee of vertical acceleration upward.
2. Add to that the constant leftward acceleration whose magnitude is a.
3. Determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting acceleration up and to the left.
4. Drop the acceleration and pretend instead that gravity has this magnitude and is acting down and to the right.

That is an efficient approach to this problem.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
The basic idea of the equivalence principle is that the effect of a gravitational field or of a uniformly accelerating platform are locally indistinguishable. Without looking out the window, there is no way to tell whether you are in an elevator accelerating upward in space or an elevator standing still on the ground floor.

Taking this a step farther, you can add up the effect of gravity plus the effect of a uniform acceleration and treat the vector sum as if it were pure gravity. One can justify this as follows:

1. Pretend that gravity is actually the whole lab is experiencing 1 gee of vertical acceleration upward.
3. Determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting acceleration up and to the left.
4. Drop the acceleration and pretend instead that gravity has this magnitude and is acting down and to the right.

thank you very much for the detailed explenation! it is great. I'll try to think of it that way. Thanks.

jbriggs444 said:

1. Pretend that gravity is actually the whole lab experiencing 1 gee of vertical acceleration upward.

I tried looking at it your way, but didn't suceedto get the solution

Danielpom said:
I tried looking at it your way, but didn't suceedto get the solution

How far did you get? Can you summarise your thinking?

Hint: this approach is so efficient that you hardly need any calculations. So, it's perhaps worth persevering with.

Likes jbriggs444

What is Newton's 2nd law with oscillations?

Newton's 2nd law with oscillations, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller its acceleration will be. This law is specifically applicable to objects that are moving in a back-and-forth motion, known as oscillations.

How is Newton's 2nd law applied to oscillations?

When an object is oscillating, it is constantly changing direction and velocity. Newton's 2nd law states that the net force acting on the object will determine its acceleration. Therefore, as the object moves back and forth, the force acting on it will also change, causing its acceleration to change. This is why oscillations have a constant back-and-forth motion, as the force and acceleration are constantly changing in opposite directions.

What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in Newton's 2nd law with oscillations?

According to Newton's 2nd law, force, mass, and acceleration are all directly related. This means that as force increases, acceleration also increases, and as mass increases, acceleration decreases. This relationship is expressed in the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This equation is applicable to all situations, including oscillations.

How does Newton's 2nd law with oscillations relate to simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of motion in which an object oscillates back and forth in a regular pattern. This type of motion can be explained by Newton's 2nd law, as the force and acceleration change in opposite directions, causing the object to continuously move back and forth. Therefore, Newton's 2nd law is the underlying principle behind simple harmonic motion.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's 2nd law with oscillations?

Some common examples of Newton's 2nd law with oscillations include a pendulum, a spring bouncing up and down, a swing, and a mass attached to a spring that is stretched and released. In all of these examples, the object is moving back and forth in an oscillating motion, and the force and acceleration are constantly changing in opposite directions, as predicted by Newton's 2nd law.