Newton's First law - Dropping a feather and a hammer....

In summary: It's more of a kinematics problem than a F=ma problem. However, if you want to learn more about forces and their effects, I would recommend looking into F=ma.
copypacer
<<Mentor note: Edited for language>>

1. Homework Statement

If I have a feather and a hammer and drop it at the same time from the same height (with out air resistance, so basically in a vacuum) Why would it land on the ground at the exact same time?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumption is that with the equation posted above, which I think has nothing to do with why it drops at the same time, even though they both have different masses but the same acceleration.

- Also, would it accelerate because the only force is gravity (9.8)...but that's a force so would it be -9.8 = m*a ?

<<*edited*>> I'M SO CONFUSED

taking physics in college and I'm already in chapter 9 which is center mass and linear momentum, and just barely understanding force and motion which is chapter 5 while midterm is next tues <<*edited*>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
copypacer said:

Homework Statement

If I have a feather and a hammer and drop it at the same time from the same height (with out air resistance, so basically in a vacuum) Why would it land on the ground at the exact same time?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumption is that with the equation posted above, which I think has nothing to do with why it drops at the same time, even though they both have different masses but the same acceleration.

- Also, would it accelerate because the only force is gravity (9.8)...but that's a force so would it be -9.8 = m*a ?

I'M SO CONFUSED

taking physics in college and I'm already in chapter 9 which is center mass and linear momentum, and just barely understanding force and motion which is chapter 5 while midterm is next tues -.-
You probably need to review some basic concepts. What is meant by each of the following?

acceleration

acceleration due to gravity.

Weight (of an object)

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS said:
You probably need to review some basic concepts. What is meant by each of the following?

acceleration

Weight (of an object)

And you might want to edit your post just a bit to remove what might be considered offensive.
a feather and a hammer or anything heavier will have a different mass compared to the feather. Acceleration is 9.8 but the forces will be different because of different masses, basically i still don't see how they will end up on the ground at the same time due to different forces and different masses

copypacer said:
a feather and a hammer or anything heavier will have a different mass compared to the feather. Acceleration is 9.8 but the forces will be different because of different masses, basically i still don't see how they will end up on the ground at the same time due to different forces and different masses
If acceleration is the same, and the initial velocity is the same, then the motion is the same, Right?

SammyS said:
If acceleration is the same, and the initial velocity is the same, then the motion is the same, Right?

Right, but I thought the time it would get there would be different because the hammer would have a greater force because of its greater mass.

My guess is that because the hammer has a greater mass, that mass compensates for the greater force and essentially, the ratio of Force to mass is the same as for the feather. The ratio of force to mass which is acceleration is the same for the hammer as for the feather and that is why both of them land at the same time.

copypacer said:
Right, but I thought the time it would get there would be different because the hammer would have a greater force because of its greater mass.

My guess is that because the hammer has a greater mass, that mass compensates for the greater force and essentially, the ratio of Force to mass is the same as for the feather. The ratio of force to mass which is acceleration is the same for the hammer as for the feather and that is why both of them land at the same time.
Right. The ratio of force to mass is the same for both.

SammyS said:

acceleration

Weight (of an object)
When you said "weight" do you mean mass?...but then again this is in respect to gravity right? confused

copypacer said:
When you said "weight" do you mean mass?...but then again this is in respect to gravity right? confused
copypacer said:
No. Look in your textbook or notes for the definition of weight.

Weight is not the same as mass.

I have a question... isn't this more of a kinematics problem than a F=ma problem?

SammyS said:
No. Look in your textbook or notes for the definition of weight.

Weight is not the same as mass.
I know, weight has to do with gravity, BUT, we still call it mass because we need the measurement of matter in the object and than calculate the gravity in order to find the force.Also, if I wanted to find what my mass is, do I just divide my weight by 9.8?

copypacer said:
I know, weight has to do with gravity, BUT, we still call it mass because we need the measurement of matter in the object and than calculate the gravity in order to find the force.Also, if I wanted to find what my mass is, do I just divide my weight by 9.8?
Mass is a measure of an objects inertia.

Gravity is the force exerted on an object due to gravity.

An isolated object that is not in any gravitational field still has mass. The mass of that object is the same no matter how much gravity is present.

What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

Why is it called the Law of Inertia?

The term "inertia" refers to an object's resistance to change in its state of motion. This law explains that objects will maintain their current state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.

How does dropping a feather and a hammer demonstrate this law?

When dropping a feather and a hammer from the same height, they both experience the same acceleration due to gravity. However, the feather has a larger surface area and more air resistance, causing it to fall slower. Both objects are being acted upon by the same force, but the feather's inertia (resistance to motion) is greater, causing it to fall slower.

Is Newton's First Law applicable in all situations?

Yes, Newton's First Law applies to all objects in motion, regardless of their size or speed. It also applies to objects at rest, which will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force.

How is Newton's First Law related to the concept of momentum?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. According to Newton's First Law, an object will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, an object with more mass (greater inertia) will have a greater tendency to maintain its momentum, while an object with less mass will have a lower tendency to maintain its momentum.