Newton's Law of Cooling of coffee

In summary, the problem does not provide enough information to solve for the temperature of the coffee 10 minutes later. The equation given requires the initial temperature of the coffee and the temperature of the room, as well as a negative constant k, which cannot be found without more information.
ajr246

Homework Statement

Suppose that a cup of hot coffee at a temperature of 1850 is set down to cool in a room where the temperature is kept at 700. What is the temperature of the coffee 10 minutes later?

Homework Equations

f(t)=(T0 - T1))e-kt + T1
where T0 is the initial temperature of the coffee,
T1 is the temperature of the room,
f(t) is the temperature of the coffee after t minutes,
k is a negative constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I am studying precalculus independently. This problem is from Cohen, Precalculus with Unit-Circle Trigonometry, 4th ed.

The problem statement doesn't seem to give enough data to solve it. I can't figure out how to find k in order to find f(t). Is there a technique I'm not seeing?

I've gotten this far:
f(10)=(185-70)e-k10+70
f(10)=115e-10k+70

Physics news on Phys.org
ajr246 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a cup of hot coffee at a temperature of 1850 is set down to cool in a room where the temperature is kept at 700. What is the temperature of the coffee 10 minutes later?

Homework Equations

f(t)=(T0 - T1))e-kt + T1
where T0 is the initial temperature of the coffee,
T1 is the temperature of the room,
f(t) is the temperature of the coffee after t minutes,
k is a negative constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I am studying precalculus independently. This problem is from Cohen, Precalculus with Unit-Circle Trigonometry, 4th ed.

The problem statement doesn't seem to give enough data to solve it. I can't figure out how to find k in order to find f(t). Is there a technique I'm not seeing?

I've gotten this far:
f(10)=(185-70)e-k10+70
f(10)=115e-10k+70
You're right. Since you do not know either k or Q you cannot solve that equation for either one. I suspect that you have copied the problem incorrectly. You have to be given the temperature initially and at some other time in order to find k. Then you can find the temperature for any t.

Thanks.

Related to Newton's Law of Cooling of coffee

1. How does Newton's Law of Cooling apply to coffee?

Newton's Law of Cooling describes the rate at which a hot object, in this case coffee, cools down to match the temperature of its surroundings. As the coffee is hotter than its surroundings, it will lose heat to the air around it until it reaches the same temperature.

2. What factors affect the rate of cooling of coffee?

The rate of cooling of coffee is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the coffee, the temperature of the surrounding environment, the surface area of the coffee's container, and the type of material the container is made of.

3. How can I calculate the rate of cooling of my coffee?

The rate of cooling can be calculated by measuring the temperature of the coffee at various intervals and plotting it on a graph. The slope of the graph will give you the rate of cooling. Alternatively, you can use the equation Q = Q0e^-kt, where Q is the temperature difference between the coffee and its surroundings, Q0 is the initial temperature difference, k is a constant based on the material and surface area, and t is time.

4. Does the type of container affect the rate of cooling of coffee?

Yes, the type of material and surface area of the container can affect the rate of cooling of coffee. For example, a metal container will conduct heat more quickly than a ceramic one, resulting in a faster rate of cooling.

5. Can Newton's Law of Cooling be applied to other hot beverages besides coffee?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can apply to any hot beverage or object that is cooling down to match the temperature of its surroundings. It is commonly used to study the cooling of liquids such as tea, hot chocolate, or soup.