Newton's law of gravitation, find the mass and radius of the sphere

In summary, the problem involves two equal spheres of lead placed next to each other, with a gravitational force between them of 10N. Using the equations F=gm, F=GMm/r^2, V=4πr^3/3, and ρ=m/V, we can solve for the mass and radius of the spheres. After assuming that the spheres are touching, we can rewrite the equation for force and substitute for mass to eliminate one unknown and solve for the radius. This results in a final equation of F=G(ρ4πr^3/3)^2/(2r)^2, which gives the correct answer for the radius of the spheres.
Sunsethorizon

Homework Statement

Two fully equal sphere's of lead are placed next to each other so that the gravitational force between sums up to 10N. Calculate mass and radius of the two sphere's.

F=10N , ρlead=11300kg/m2

Homework Equations

F=gm, F=GMm/r2 , V=4πr3/3 , ρ=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

This has bugged me for quite some time now. With only gravitational force and density known, any attempt i do to calculate either mass or radius end's up with either two unknown variables or the wrong answer.
I am missing something crusial. Please Point me in the right direction :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunsethorizon said:

Homework Statement

Two fully equal sphere's of lead are placed next to each other so that the gravitational force between sums up to 10N. Calculate mass and radius of the two sphere's.

F=10N , ρlead=11300kg/m2

Homework Equations

F=gm, F=GMm/r2 , V=4πr3/3 , ρ=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

This has bugged me for quite some time now. With only gravitational force and density known, any attempt i do to calculate either mass or radius end's up with either two unknown variables or the wrong answer.
I am missing something crusial. Please Point me in the right direction :).

When it says placed next to each other, does that mean the spheres are touching one another?
If so you can rewrite the one radii in terms of the other and you only have one unknown.

Steven Thomas said:
When it says placed next to each other, does that mean the spheres are touching one another?
If so you can rewrite the one radii in terms of the other and you only have one unknown.

It acctually states that the spheres are placed so that the gravitational force sums up to 10N. It does not state that the two spheres are touching.

Sunsethorizon said:
It acctually states that the spheres are placed so that the gravitational force sums up to 10N. It does not state that the two spheres are touching.
The problem states that
Two fully equal sphere's of lead are placed next to each other
What do you think "next to each other " can mean in this context?

@Sunsethorizon If you attempt to solve assuming that they are touching, do you get the correct answer? Otherwise, as you say before, I think you will have two unknowns, both the mass / radius of he lead spheres and their separation.

Steven Thomas said:
@Sunsethorizon If you attempt to solve assuming that they are touching, do you get the correct answer? Otherwise, as you say before, I think you will have two unknowns, both the mass / radius of he lead spheres and their separation.

If i assume that the two sphere's are touching. How can i use that to go forward when the gravitational forces between originate from each sphere's center.
it the two spheres touch, does that eliminate r from F=GMm/r2?

ehild said:
The problem states that
What do you think "next to each other " can mean in this context?

It probably means that the two spheres does touch. But i don't know how to proceed.

The correct answer for the radious is r=4.04m.

Sunsethorizon said:
If i assume that the two sphere's are touching. How can i use that to go forward when the gravitational forces between originate from each sphere's center.
it the two spheres touch, does that eliminate r from F=GMm/r2?
No. The gravitational force between two spheres is as if all mass of each sphere was concentrated in the center.

Let's assume they are touching. We call the radius of the spheres r and the separation between the two spheres (centre to centre) R. When they touch we have R = 2r. You can substitute this into the equation for the force of gravity, and substitute for the mass in terms of density and volume, then sub volume of a sphere. You will now have only one unknown, r.

Whether or not this turns out to be the correct answer I'm not sure, calculate it and let me know. If not, then our assumption that they touch was incorrect.

Steven Thomas said:
Let's assume they are touching. We call the radius of the spheres r and the separation between the two spheres (centre to centre) R. When they touch we have R = 2r. You can substitute this into the equation for the force of gravity, and substitute for the mass in terms of density and volume, then sub volume of a sphere. You will now have only one unknown, r.

Whether or not this turns out to be the correct answer I'm not sure, calculate it and let me know. If not, then our assumption that they touch was incorrect.

The two sphere's did touch, i finally solved it. Thanks for your kind help :)

Since m1=m2 , equation for force can be stated F=GM2/r2

with r=2r and substitute for mass the final equation is F=G(ρ4πr3/3)2/(2r)2 , solved for r does give the correct anwer for radius.

What is Newton's law of gravitation?

Newton's law of gravitation is a fundamental law of physics that explains the force of gravity between two objects. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How can I use Newton's law of gravitation to find the mass and radius of a sphere?

To find the mass and radius of a sphere using Newton's law of gravitation, you will need to know the gravitational force between two objects, the distance between them, and the mass of one of the objects. You can then rearrange the equation to solve for the mass or radius of the sphere.

What are the units of measurement for mass and radius in Newton's law of gravitation?

The units of measurement for mass in Newton's law of gravitation are typically kilograms (kg). The units for radius can vary depending on the units used for distance, but they are commonly expressed in meters (m).

Can Newton's law of gravitation be used to calculate the force of gravity between objects of any size?

Yes, Newton's law of gravitation can be used to calculate the force of gravity between objects of any size, as long as their masses and the distance between them are known. However, it is most commonly used to describe the force of gravity between larger objects, such as planets and stars.

Are there any limitations to Newton's law of gravitation?

Yes, there are some limitations to Newton's law of gravitation. It is based on the assumption that the objects are point masses (have no size) and that they are not moving at high speeds. It also does not account for the effects of other forces, such as air resistance, on the objects.