Newton's Law Problem (Did i do this correctly?)

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a block on a ramp and calculating the distance it travels based on given information and equations. The solution was found to be 3.0 m, coincidentally matching the answer key. However, there were some concerns raised about the precision and use of variables in the solution. Overall, the method used was deemed sound.
Lori
Was wondering if i got the answer correctly or got it by coincidence (answer is 3.0 m according to answer key)

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Ff = μk*N
N = mgcos(20)=18.41 = W

W = fd
W = ΔKE = 0-2 = -2
-2/f =d
f = just the x components since y component balance
f= Fmotion -Ff
Fmotion = mgsin20 = 6.7
Ff=0.4*N = 0.4*18.41=7.364
f = 6.7-7.364 = -0.664

d = -2/f = -2/-0.664 = 3.01 ≈ 3.0 m

So, the distance is 3.0 m

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_14-38-34.png
    upload_2017-11-6_14-38-34.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
Coincidentally I've got the same result. Using the same method.

Likes Lori
Lori said:
f = 6.7-7.364
This line should raise a red flag. You are taking the difference of two numbers that only differ by about 10%, yet the precision of one of them is only given to two sig figs. If the range for that is really 6.65 to 6.75 then the error range in the result is ±10%. You should go back and ensure both inputs to this subtraction have at least three sig figs.
Lori said:
= mgcos(20)=18.41 = W
W = fd
Using W for two different things is most confusing.

Other than that, your method is sound.

Likes Lori
haruspex said:
This line should raise a red flag. You are taking the diffeence of two numbers that only differ by about 10%, yet the precision of one of them is only give to two sig figs. If the range for that is really 6.65 to 6.75 then the error range in the result is ±10%. You should go back and ensure both inputs to this subtraction have at least three sig figs.

Using W for two different things is most confusing.

Other than that, your method is sound.
Understood! I guess It's much more easier to be precise when I am writing down in pencil than typing on my computer! But, I see where the confusion is!

Thanks!

What is Newton's Law Problem?

Newton's Law Problem refers to a specific type of physics problem that involves applying Newton's three laws of motion to find an unknown variable, such as the acceleration or force acting on an object.

What are the three laws of motion in Newton's Law Problem?

The three laws of motion in Newton's Law Problem are: 1) an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, 2) force equals mass times acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do you approach solving a Newton's Law Problem?

To solve a Newton's Law Problem, you first need to identify the unknown variable and any given values or information. Then, you can use the three laws of motion to set up and solve equations to find the unknown variable.

What are some common mistakes made when solving a Newton's Law Problem?

Some common mistakes in solving a Newton's Law Problem include not properly identifying the unknown variable, not correctly applying the three laws of motion, and not using the correct units in calculations. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

Are there any real-world applications of Newton's Law Problem?

Yes, Newton's Law Problem has many real-world applications, including understanding and predicting the motion of objects in space, designing and analyzing the performance of vehicles, and studying the behavior of projectiles and other moving objects. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in a wide range of fields and industries.